OP
OP

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol,
It's looking oh so good right now too ;)
No worries, it's only coral, lol.. Sounds more than fair :) Those frags are looking so sweet! The Aculeus is on another planet!
Glad to hear! I’m excited to see if that Aculeus shows any different variations in your system. Love that coral!

OP
OP

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aris Avalanche

B4F0EE39-B14C-42AF-BC4B-2D91F4A105ED.jpeg

Tim wasn’t kidding when he said this one looks fake under high par
ReefGen Blueberry Fantasy
71A37496-CB07-49B3-A867-E4A2AF549F0B.jpeg

OP
OP

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of the yellow/greens in the tank

My A. Aculeus, one of my most prized finds. Grown from a nub off a wild Australian piece years ago. So nice I have to have two.
F8E80239-0B3D-4576-807A-C2ADB789F5C7.jpeg
2C18A625-C750-4EE9-9613-C3AFC7C697AD.jpeg

Newer Indo A. Suharsonoi
E43EF8E0-7A5F-4784-85A3-59E2C2475709.jpeg

Another wild Aussie, A. Clathrata
8F963EE1-C632-42CE-A8B0-39673A885A67.jpeg

Hands down the most nuclear green on any acro I’ve seen. Highlighter Humilis
65270404-C99B-4C58-BC6A-4F4E43004DFA.jpeg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope people don't ignore the fact that these Acros are under T5s! You can immediately see, since the first pictures, the amazing signature of a light source that produced great quality and well formed colonies, with amazing colors! Well done!
Please share the T5 bulbs/combo you have there.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope people don't ignore the fact that these Acros are under T5s! You can immediately see, since the first pictures, the amazing signature of a light source that produced great quality and well formed colonies, with amazing colors! Well done!

Not to mention the scientific names :)
Mad taxonomy skills!
He's the man Alex, we are 15 minutes from one-another, and fortunate to be a good reefing pals.
T5's too, dude is flat out skilled ;)

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aculeus is so beautiful, I have this one growing out, thanks for sharing that one brother, in person, this coral will quickly rise to your favorite !
Dude, we need to get together again soon, be in touch!
Killer photos and specimens :)

OP
OP

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for noticing! Lol. I’m a die hard T5 user, and you explain the exact reasons why I love them so much. First I should say the fixture is a 6x54 ATI sunpower, shout out to them for making amazing fixtures. My bulb combo has generally been 2 coral+ 4 blue+ For this tank. The fixture is supplemented by OR3 blue strip and a ReefBrite XHO blue on either side.

OP
OP

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mad taxonomy skills!
He's the man Alex, we are 15 minutes from one-another, and fortunate to be a good reefing pals.
Thanks Perry!
The Aculeus is so beautiful, I have this one growing out, thanks for sharing that one brother, in person, this coral will quickly rise to your favorite !
Dude, we need to get together again soon, be in touch!
Killer photos and specimens :)
The Aculeus is one that gets better and better with size and growth. Soft purple/pinks in new growth when it’s happiest!

Definitely! Have to come by and check some of the new stock from the trip, some really unique specimens.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for noticing! Lol. I’m a die hard T5 user, and you explain the exact reasons why I love them so much. First I should say the fixture is a 6x54 ATI sunpower, shout out to them for making amazing fixtures. My bulb combo has generally been 2 coral+ 4 blue+ For this tank. The fixture is supplemented by OR3 blue strip and a ReefBrite XHO blue on either side.
I noticed already in the beginning of the thread, my friend! Colony formation is impeccable! It reflects also in the whole health of the colonies. The colors are natural and vivid to the natural limits of pigment production and reflection, the real beauty of corals under real skylight in the ocean!!! T5s are the best and unique for those qualities. There is no substitution for the spectrum and photon distribution they offer over tanks up to 24" deep! Does that mean they are superior to any of the LEDs in this world? For that matter and in IMO, yes! ATI is the way to go! I still have my old Powermodule (T5 only - yes before they were built like a tank and had only T5s, no LEDs) fixtures from 2010! I just changed the reflector and it's brand new again! I also have some newer Sunpower fixtures. I love halides for shimmer and power, but the T5s have to be included with the halides too!

Here are some suggestions of bulbs for your Acros: KZ 10K and 14K (use one or 2 max per 6 bulb fixture - the 14K is called "new generation"), ATI True Actinic (use only one per 6 bulb fixture, it does a great job as a supplement light within the combo), and if you like brighter tanks, GE 65K for growth ( I would use only 1 per 6 bulb fixture!). Blue Plus is the best T5 bulb in this world IMO! I don't recommend any purple bulbs at all. To me they are a waste to those precious slots! I don't like Giesemann bulbs too much either, just not my deal. Tried many times, as I've tried some of the music when I was a kid, thinking that I could actually come to like them one day... nope. The only Giesemann bulbs I've ever liked were the old Mid Day 6000Ks and also AquaFlora over my planted tanks. Yes, T5s are amazing over shallow planted tanks too! The best! Anyways..

Please grow some extra Acros for me!
Acros I like are A. efflorescens, A. echinata, A. granulosa, A. gemmifera, A. loripes, A. humilis, A. hyacinthus, all the staghorns, etc... well, I like all Acros to tell the truth!
So happy for you!
Cheers!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mad taxonomy skills!
You guys are so lucky, man! Very happy for you both!

OP
OP

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed already in the beginning of the thread, my friend! Colony formation is impeccable! It reflects also in the whole health of the colonies. The colors are natural and vivid to the natural limits of pigment production and reflection, the real beauty of corals under real skylight in the ocean!!! T5s are the best and unique for those qualities. There is no substitution for the spectrum and photon distribution they offer over tanks up to 24" deep! Does that mean they are superior to any of the LEDs in this world? For that matter and in IMO, yes! ATI is the way to go! I still have my old Powermodule (T5 only - yes before they were built like a tank and had only T5s, no LEDs) fixtures from 2010! I just changed the reflector and it's brand new again! I also have some newer Sunpower fixtures. I love halides for shimmer and power, but the T5s have to be included with the halides too!

Here are some suggestions of bulbs for your Acros: KZ 10K and 14K (use one or 2 max per 6 bulb fixture - the 14K is called "new generation"), ATI True Actinic (use only one per 6 bulb fixture, it does a great job as a supplement light within the combo), and if you like brighter tanks, GE 65K for growth ( I would use only 1 per 6 bulb fixture!). Blue Plus is the best T5 bulb in this world IMO! I don't recommend any purple bulbs at all. To me they are a waste to those precious slots! I don't like Giesemann bulbs too much either, just not my deal. Tried many times, as I've tried some of the music when I was a kid, thinking that I could actually come to like them one day... nope. The only Giesemann bulbs I've ever liked were the old Mid Day 6000Ks and also AquaFlora over my planted tanks. Yes, T5s are amazing over shallow planted tanks too! The best! Anyways..

Please grow some extra Acros for me!
Acros I like are A. efflorescens, A. echinata, A. granulosa, A. gemmifera, A. loripes, A. humilis, A. hyacinthus, all the staghorns, etc... well, I like all Acros to tell the truth!
So happy for you!
Cheers!
Of course IMO, T5 is without a doubt the best light source out there. I used Halides for my first few years in the hobby, loved them but not the same outcome. My first T5 fixture was a small 24” light for a Zoanthid tank. Seeing how insane the growth and mainly coloration of my zoas were under the T5s I looked into getting a bigger fixture for my main reef tank. Pretty sure it was some kind of wave point fixture and I ran that for a year or so but it wasn’t until I got my first ATI that I was really sold. Time and time again they have proven to be the best bang for your buck. No tinkering just plug in and watch the corals grow, and not only just grow but like you mentioned grow into evenly shaped, natural looking colonies.

I will have to check out the KZ bulbs you mentioned. I’ve tried a few different brands over the years but mainly stick to the ATI and blue+/coral+ for that matter. I do love a good 6500 bulb and have ran them on and off depending what species are dominating the tank. For planted tanks they are amazing!! This is not aquatic, but my planted vivarium that is lit with cheap LEDs and 3 48” 6500bulbs.
3982DF92-2581-409E-97A8-2D0E49D621B1.jpeg

I notice the 6500 bulbs really bring out the intense coloration in the plants, as well with corals.

I’m always on the look out for any old school, or light demanding acros. A. Echinata and A. Gemmifera are two that have evaded me for the last few years but would love to find a nice frag of each! For now here’s a frag of GC Ultimate Efflo just starting to take off
961A623E-B718-40EC-BCEC-BFD44D9D7F31.jpeg

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course IMO, T5 is without a doubt the best light source out there. I used Halides for my first few years in the hobby, loved them but not the same outcome. My first T5 fixture was a small 24” light for a Zoanthid tank. Seeing how insane the growth and mainly coloration of my zoas were under the T5s I looked into getting a bigger fixture for my main reef tank. Pretty sure it was some kind of wave point fixture and I ran that for a year or so but it wasn’t until I got my first ATI that I was really sold. Time and time again they have proven to be the best bang for your buck. No tinkering just plug in and watch the corals grow, and not only just grow but like you mentioned grow into evenly shaped, natural looking colonies.

I will have to check out the KZ bulbs you mentioned. I’ve tried a few different brands over the years but mainly stick to the ATI and blue+/coral+ for that matter. I do love a good 6500 bulb and have ran them on and off depending what species are dominating the tank. For planted tanks they are amazing!! This is not aquatic, but my planted vivarium that is lit with cheap LEDs and 3 48” 6500bulbs.
3982DF92-2581-409E-97A8-2D0E49D621B1.jpeg

I notice the 6500 bulbs really bring out the intense coloration in the plants, as well with corals.

I’m always on the look out for any old school, or light demanding acros. A. Echinata and A. Gemmifera are two that have evaded me for the last few years but would love to find a nice frag of each! For now here’s a frag of GC Ultimate Efflo just starting to take off
961A623E-B718-40EC-BCEC-BFD44D9D7F31.jpeg

That's a nice one!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, cool to hear someone else has it! Captain America is low key my favorite piece I have. Need to get a more updated pic, but I agree needs more growth to really know where it stands in my list of favs. I originally thought it was Lokani, but leaning more towards A. Jacquelineae

5DCAFC27-B93C-49E0-AFD1-2B8D3A94EC95.jpeg

I would agree the jack’s have the polyps tucked in the coralites on the non axials just like that from what I remember. I had a wild colony I loved but lost it long ago. Surprised not more people have collected this coral species. The 30k is drool worthy. You have a superb eye for picking really nice acropora!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, the first page I figured I knew what lighting was being used. Such uniform growth and not odd coralites anywhere. Nothing twisty, or long and everything’s nice and tight. Making me want to try a power module on a new tank but I think natural light might be my go to this time, if possible.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back