A few Acros looking good right now

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few acros that are looking really good right now., thought I would share.

It was sold to me as a blueberry granulosa:

IMG_2866.jpeg

JF FoxFlame:
IMG_2864.jpeg

A pearlberry lookalike the guy called Tapioberry:

IMG_2880.jpeg

BC Sexfeast milli:
IMG_2867.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for looking. Be careful adding SPS. They are addicting and soon you will be either getting rid of your LPS and upgrading equipment to customize to SPS corals, or you will be setting up another tank to dedicate to them.

Seriously though, SPS keeping is a simultaneously rewarding and frustrating journey. Enjoy it.

What are you looking at getting?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for looking. Be careful adding SPS. They are addicting and soon you will be either getting rid of your LPS and upgrading equipment to customize to SPS corals, or you will be setting up another tank to dedicate to them.

Seriously though, SPS keeping is a simultaneously rewarding and frustrating journey. Enjoy it.

What are you looking at getting?
I have one encrusting montipora, I'll probably try a couple small Acros next and see how it goes.

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one encrusting montipora, I'll probably try a couple small Acros next and see how it goes.

If the monti is doing well, start with something hardy and more forgiving. Classics like green slimer, bonsai, tricolor, and many others. May not be as insanely colored as some of the hot corals right now, but there is a reason they have been around in the hobby forever.

How about a picture of your monti?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the monti is doing well, start with something hardy and more forgiving. Classics like green slimer, bonsai, tricolor, and many others. May not be as insanely colored as some of the hot corals right now, but there is a reason they have been around in the hobby forever.

How about a picture of your monti?

That's the best I can do.

20230827_095557.jpg

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice acros. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. I share the ones that look good. If only I could find the magic formula to have all the corals look good at the same time. Maybe someday it will happen for an hour or 2.
That's the best I can do.

20230827_095557.jpg

Looks good and healthy. Shows that you have good water parameters. Take it slow and you should find success with acros as well.

Always appreciate an acro success story. Great lookin corals.
Thank you. This tank has been a journey. Thankfully it is starting to hit its stride.

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those bases are huge! How long did the SPS encrust for you?

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank, nice to see some big fat colonies. Looks like very few fish? How often do you feed them and what are your nutrient levels?

Agreed, don’t usually see that. That’s interesting I would love to know more about your husbandry methods.

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everything seems to base out forever in this tank. Like 8-12 months on some corals. Can be frustrating, but I keep reminding myself that it just makes it so I don't have to frag everything all the time yet. We play this game of wanting everything to grow fast, and then cursing it when it does because I don't have time to frag everything again...

Love your tank, nice to see some big fat colonies. Looks like very few fish? How often do you feed them and what are your nutrient levels?

Agreed, don’t usually see that. That’s interesting I would love to know more about your husbandry methods.

There are actually quite a few fish. Need more, but spending on the tank has been on hold for a while due to some health issues in the family.

Fish list:

Gem tang
Mimic (chocolate) tang
Kole tang
(3) Azure damsels
(3) Roland's damsels
(2) Talbots damsels
(2) Clownfish
Flame Hawkfish
Diamond Goby
Aiptasia eating filefish

I think that is it. Fed once a day. Nutrients tend to run a touch high on this tank, but not stressing over it.

NO3-- 15-20
PO4-- .08-.2. Typically in the .1-.15 range, but bounces higher or lower sometimes.

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as husbandry I keep it pretty simple. A couple of mesh filter socks (they catch the big stuff, but let smaller stuff through. Don't polish the water as much as felt socks, but also don't have to be changed/cleaned as often either.). Lifereef skimmer, weekly water changes. Stir sand up and blow rocks out once a week to keep detritus from building up too much, a little Vodka, and 2 part. It sounds like a lot, but not much really.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as husbandry I keep it pretty simple. A couple of mesh filter socks (they catch the big stuff, but let smaller stuff through. Don't polish the water as much as felt socks, but also don't have to be changed/cleaned as often either.). Lifereef skimmer, weekly water changes. Stir sand up and blow rocks out once a week to keep detritus from building up too much, a little Vodka, and 2 part. It sounds like a lot, but not much really.
I’m a big fan of the kiss method. Obviously it’s working.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few acros that are looking really good right now., thought I would share.

It was sold to me as a blueberry granulosa:

IMG_2866.jpeg

JF FoxFlame:
IMG_2864.jpeg

A pearlberry lookalike the guy called Tapioberry:

IMG_2880.jpeg

BC Sexfeast milli:
IMG_2867.jpeg
Some nice looking acros!

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks - a simple approach is what I was hoping to hear. No carbon?

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some nice looking acros!
Thanks.

Thanks - a simple approach is what I was hoping to hear. No carbon?

I dose a little vodka, if you mean carbon dosing. I do also run a small amount of activated carbon in a reactor changed monthly. I am sure it depletes long before I change it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back