A few hitchhikers

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got 15lbs of live rock knowing there would be hitchhikers. My tank is currently unstocked so I wanted to have some fun with selecting live rock. Can anyone help me identify some of these hitchhikers?

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic 1 mushrooms
Pic 2 bad algae
Pic 3 I'm not sure, is it soft or calcified?
Pic 4 mushroom (looks like a watermelon mushroom)
Pic 5 bubble algae; bad (careful how you remove as it will release spores and show up all over when torn off or popped)
Pic 6 looks like the tube of a little feather duster (can't tell if it's still occupied or not)

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic 1 mushrooms
Pic 2 bad algae
Pic 3 I'm not sure, is it soft or calcified?
Pic 4 mushroom (looks like a watermelon mushroom)
Pic 5 bubble algae; bad (careful how you remove as it will release spores and show up all over when torn off or popped)
Pic 6 looks like the tube of a little feather duster (can't tell if it's still occupied or not)

Oh I mixed up pic 3 and 5, oops. I'll remove the bubble algae now as carefully as possible. And pic 3 is not rock solid but kind of hard yet squishy

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got more good than bad. Congrats on some nice rock!
Thank you! My LFS allows me to pick out the live rock that I want from their huge selection so I just picked out some nice looking pieces with things growing on it. I just didn't know what they were, next time I'll know not to get ones with bubble algae or green turf algae haha

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pic 3 is a puzzle. Does it feel like a skeleton? When you touch it with something does it move or retract at all? When the rock is out of the water, does it slime at all?

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pic 3 is a puzzle. Does it feel like a skeleton? When you touch it with something does it move or retract at all? When the rock is out of the water, does it slime at all?
It doesn't feel rigid like a skeleton and when touched it doesn't move or anything of its own accord. When out of the water is feels a tad slimy but doesn't feel like it's covered in some kind of mucus, etc

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't feel rigid like a skeleton and when touched it doesn't move or anything of its own accord. When out of the water is feels a tad slimy but doesn't feel like it's covered in some kind of mucus, etc

Huh. That's baffling to me. I wonder if it's some kind of sponge? I don't know. But in my experience, if I don't know what it is, I take it out!

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. That's baffling to me. I wonder if it's some kind of sponge? I don't know. But in my experience, if I don't know what it is, I take it out!
Yeah that sounds like a good idea haha. I'm getting some more live rock today so I'll take it out once I'm putting that live rock in because I don't like to mess with my tank too often if I can help it

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back