A few questions on Pico tanks

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll,
Thinking about setting up a small 3-6 gal only coral pico tank for a friend, but I have a few questions:

1. What corals would you do, I was thinking easy ones, like gsp, xenia, kenya trees, or zoas

2. What filtration would you use. I was thinking one of the Fluval hob filters rated for 10 gals

3. how hard is it to keep, my friend is a complete beginner and if there was a problem, I would have to drive an hr to take care of it.

4. Just need some general tips and stuff, there isn't tons of literature on picos.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey ya'll,
Thinking about setting up a small 3-6 gal only coral pico tank for a friend, but I have a few questions:

1. What corals would you do, I was thinking easy ones, like gsp, xenia, kenya trees, or zoas

2. What filtration would you use. I was thinking one of the Fluval hob filters rated for 10 gals

3. how hard is it to keep, my friend is a complete beginner and if there was a problem, I would have to drive an hr to take care of it.

4. Just need some general tips and stuff, there isn't tons of literature on picos.

Thanks!
The Coral you mentioned ideal plus a couple of mushrooms. Basically if you can instruct them on chemistry such as water testing, mixing and changing water occasionally and principal of upkeep- should be easy
All in one tanks make the task even simpler

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll,

Thanks!
I suffer from MTS *multiple tank syndrome and my 3.6 gallon pico has been the easiest to maintain by far. I do 50 percent water changes monthly. Your coral suggestion is very accurate. I only keep inverts (sexy shrimp, peppermints, and an emerald crab, as well as 5 nassarius snails to keep the sand turned over). I run a heater controller for safety, and a Kessil A80 light. Otherwise it's just a petco tank with the glass lid to keep the evaporation to a minimum. I keep a shaker cup with RODI next to it and top off weekly, so no ATO. Here is a video I made showing what's going on there:

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody for responding!
I will be over that way about every 3 weeks so I could take care of water changes.
how long till I could add corals to that tank, considering it has no fish?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add those corals listed immediately. Replace the Kenya Tree with a frag of Grube's gorgonian, and you'll have a nice softie garden.

Don't discount some nice macroalgae if you can find some: a single pencillus specimen would look very nice.

Back