A few questions on the banded snake eel

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run refugiums and a good size skimmer, I do NO water changes. I am running fowlrs, one 90G with a rhino and 4 lionfish. A 210g with a tessa and a bc29 with a trio of pygmy waspfish and a flame hawk, NO water changes for 4 years now. Low light and barely clean at all. I stopped doing water changes when I got rid of my last reef and turned it into my 90G venom fowlr, I removed the filter sock in an eshopps sump and put in a submersible tunze refugium light. I run gracalaria, ulva, and caulerpa. BC29 has a refugium chamber, and I run a 40B sidecar for the 210g.
That’s awesome, I would love to someday be able to do that.
Like with many things I took @lion king advice on filtration and this is my cheap and very low maintenance sump. (I am looking for a better lid)
IMG_7343.jpeg
IMG_7344.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke how often does your banded eel swim openly?? Im currently communicating with Dr reef about one after my last post. I didnt realize they were open swimmers like that which would be something I would really enjoy in an eel since morays really just chill in their spot
Comes out for about an hour every evening at lights out. Longer if its hungry.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes out for about an hour every evening at lights out. Longer if its hungry.

That is beautiful!! Favorite part about eels is when they swim!! Im excited to try one! How are they with jumping? Im still working on figuring out a lid for my tank

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is beautiful!! Favorite part about eels is when they swim!! Im excited to try one! How are they with jumping? Im still working on figuring out a lid for my tank
Never had one escape but had one jump while feeding. You definitely want a good lid though maybe not quite as good as escaping as morays.
Sound effects!!! How big is he there, is that your 125g.
That was about a year ago actually it hasn’t grown much, about 26”-30” and yes the 125.
@Slocke is the care for a golden spotted snake eel the same as a banded snake eel?
No. That one is much easier but more aggressive. Eats like a pig and comes out whenever it smells its food.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had one escape but had one jump while feeding. You definitely want a good lid though maybe not quite as good as escaping as morays.

That was about a year ago actually it hasn’t grown much, about 26”-30” and yes the 125.

No. That one is much easier but more aggressive. Eats like a pig and comes out whenever it smells its food.
How quickly did the eel grow/ how quickly do snake eels in general grow

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Slocke as far as aggressive do you mean the golden spot goes after fish more?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep and inverts. It’s just a bigger hungrier fish
Ah okay, sounds like a banded snake eel would be a better fit for my tank then. The gold spots sure are pretty though!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke do you think that a snake eel could do well in a 75?
I don't know what more I can say. It will probably do just fine but you will have a better experience and a happier fish in a bigger tank. Tank size is not the most important thing. Getting it to eat and feeding well is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%

Back