a few sps turned white

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not dead but white so they lost their zoaxinthelli. Most of my SPS just fine. cant figure out what happened.

Usually keep nitrate at about 5ppm and po4 at .03-.08.. temp has been constant and so has salinity... calcium is a bit high at 500 but not unusual as I usually keep it at 450. alk is as usual at 10-10.5 dkh.

I dose vodka and have been doing so for over three years without ill effects like this.

Only thing I have done differently is dose the new bryopsis med into the tank. you can see the thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/ its a fish fungal med and reason i am posting here. People who used it report no ill effects and i am not sertain this was the cause but it just seems like it might be. The bleaching occured about 6-7 days after dosing. could this be the cause of the bleaching in some of these sps corals?

and lastly can I bring the color back in time?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters whould greatly help. Please include phosphate and nitrate.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everything looks good except the ALK. I keep mine around 8-8.5, but if everything else looks good they may have gotten blasted when you added the fluco?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I keep my numbers at but not the actual numbers. The reason I ask is because they could be way off your norm.

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I keep my numbers at but not the actual numbers. The reason I ask is because they could be way off your norm.

I provided my numbers you asked in my original post. they were not way off at all. please re-read the post.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything was good and the only change was the fluconazole I believe you have the answer to your question... Collateral effects?!
When we do interventions is very easy to happen this "weird phenomenons".
I think is normal, unfortunately.
It happened with me and everyone else, that is why we are always learning.
Keep posting the results so we can learn as well.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture you can post of a white but not dead SPS?

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture you can post of a white but not dead SPS?

This beuty used to be red with blue tips and all that is left is blue tips. if you look closely you can see some of the polyps still there. this coral is not dead but lost almost 95% of its color. i am hoping to bring it back to life.

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an sps frag that wasn't looking very healthy. I moved it to another tank hoping it would be happier there. Within 4 days it was completely bleached white and dead. The difference in parameters between the two tanks was miniscule. Po3 at 2.5, Alk 8.1, Ca 420's, Po4 .008. Something in the second tank really nailed it hard but I'll be danged if I can figure out what it is.

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a video I posted to you tube just befor dosing fluconezole bryopsis medication. the white coral above was this nice red color you see in the vid.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%

Back