A Good Protein Skimmer

Basic reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29 gallon tank and am adding coral soon. I am reading that a protein skimmer would be good for a reef tank but would I need one? I don't have a sump but I do have Aqueon Quietflow 50. Would this be enough filtration for my tank? If not, what would be a good skimmer that does not need to be in a sump. Thank you very much.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are HOB (hang on back) skimmers that work pretty good. I've used Reef Octo HOB skimmers on a couple of my tanks. A skimmer is not necessary but I know my skimmers take out a lot of organic compounds. I probably stock too many fish, but i'm weak that way.

What are your nitrates/phospates at now? How is the tank stocked?

OP
OP
B

Basic reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are HOB (hang on back) skimmers that work pretty good. I've used Reef Octo HOB skimmers on a couple of my tanks. A skimmer is not necessary but I know my skimmers take out a lot of organic compounds. I probably stock too many fish, but i'm weak that way.

What are your nitrates/phospates at now? How is the tank stocked?
Nitrates are as low as they can be but that was because I had to do a huge water change due to to red slime algae. I have two clown fish and live rocks an live sand, there use to be more fish but one jumped out of the quarantine tank. Idk my phosphates.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used the Classic 1000 HOB skimmer from reef octo on my Red Sea 170 AIO. I thought it was much easier to tune and picked up a lot more then the stock red sea skimmer. That's the red sea skimmer that goes in the back of an AIO style tank. That tank is around 33/34 gallons. I used that tank as an all in one for a while. Then put the in cabinet sump in and now use a reef octo skimmer there.

I think my skimmer is essential to my filtration. And it adds a lot of oxygen to the water.

It is important to check your water parameters to keep the tank in check. Salinity, alkalinety, ph, nitrates, phosphates and do regular water changes.

Test kits aren't cheap but it will help with your success.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29 gallon tank and am adding coral soon. I am reading that a protein skimmer would be good for a reef tank but would I need one? I don't have a sump but I do have Aqueon Quietflow 50. Would this be enough filtration for my tank? If not, what would be a good skimmer that does not need to be in a sump. Thank you very much.
I would just get some activated carbon to put in your hob filter & keep up the water changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back