A Hitchhiker Experience From a New Reefer

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago my fiance and I bought some coral offline for the first time. I tend to search random threads on here, some new and some old, and came across a thread about using Bayer as part of new coral dipping regiment. I'll preface this next part by saying that I have spent hours and hours reading through this forum to help familiarize myself with the inevitable hitchhikers that we may come across.

The day the coral arrived we visually inspected them and took pictures. We found a little flat/oblong/fleshy shaped thing on one of our coral that moved slightly when touched; As well as other little guys that "looked" like the the same critter just rolled up. I immediately recognized the one on the coral as a tiny flat worm and assumed the others were the same. We managed to entice the one off the zoa after acclimation before the Bayer dip. After the Bayer dip, and then the Revive dip we found 1 or two more of the small balled up creatures in the bottom of the bucket. I took pictures of all of the corals as well as the critters and sent them to the company we bought the coral from. After a few messages exchanged they would not admit that the one that looked EXACTLY like a flatworm, was a flatworm. They kept telling me it was mucous? Either way I haven't seen anymore of them so the Bayer dip seemed to work! It almost worked too good...

Come to find out the little balled up guys I thought were rolled up flatworms were actually chitins. The best part is we had been talking about getting a few chitins for our tank because we thought they were neat therefore I knew what they looked like. However they look MUCH different in person than on the pictures online. Unfortunately the chitins didn't survive the dips so I missed out on some free good hitchhikers. :(

That night her sister-in-law also received a shipment of new corals from a different company. These unfortunately didn't arrive as clean and healthy as ours did as two were DOA. We helped her with her new coral which she also tried the Bayer dip method. After the dip and placing them into the tank, we found a tiny leg sticking out between a blasto frag. Turns out on top of god knows what was killed by the Bayer, we killed a tiny baby serpent star. So I would say the Bayer/ReVive dip is a success so far. We even managed to kill a few good hitchhikers.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it worked for you. We someone who has also killed good hitchhikers before I feel your pain.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back