A Home For Oysters and Odd Couples

BrittaniPearl

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Location
Milford, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WwUdJqUl.jpg


Welcome to my Nano in 90 entry!
While I was planning on just picking up a basic 10 gal, the dollar per gallon sale had me leaving with a 29 gallon tank :)
Equipment Specs:
Tank-Plain old 29 long glass
Dividers-from undergravel filter DIY
Filter-Whisper EX 30 HOB with chemipure elite
Skimmer-Coralife Biocube 29
Powerhead-Jebao WP-10
Lighting-6 bulb 144 watt T5HO fixture with LED moonlights


Current Livestock-
5 Turkey Wing Oysters (2 affectionately named Ron Weasley and Blackbeard)
2 Nerite snails
2 baby blue-legged hermits
1 Astraea turbo snail
1 Tuxedo Urchin (of doom!)
1 Maroon Clown
1 Snowflake Clown
Planned additions-Mandarin, Starry Blenny, Randall's Goby/Tiger Shrimp Pair

Corals-
Many hidden cups
2 Caribbean Rose corals (may not recover as they came bleached white, but including just in case)
2 Cladocora arbuscula
2 Siderastrea
A variety of macro
and last but not least...
1 Lonely Zoa Polyp (which is supposed to be a temporary addition so it can recover from Warp's rock garden, but now the clowns want to host it
:faint:
 
Last edited:
Tank is ready! Doing a custom AIO build, pics of the divider below. Made it with a 29 gal undergravel filter kit. It will have a fuge compartment and a front compartment for any non-reef safe hitch hikers :) Water going in Thursday night, live rock from Dale at FloridaLiveRock getting overnighted to arrive on Friday, live black sand to be added after aquascaping. Trying for a soft cycle to keep all the goodies alive :) Ordered a Jebao WP-10, new test kit, and chemipure elite today for the big start as well! First fish picked out as well, an orange stripe prawn goby with tiger snapping shrimp. Also thinking a mixed clown pair, likely platinum and a black morph of some kind ^_^
u3WLMLV.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 10365778_10204256034463880_2307427561577115526_n.jpg
    10365778_10204256034463880_2307427561577115526_n.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,028
Following!
 
Lights are in! 144 watt T5 HO with LED moonlights, and separate timers for each color bulb and the leds :) love them!
 

Attachments

  • 1404873148766.jpg
    1404873148766.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 996
  • 1404873164717.jpg
    1404873164717.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 1404873177988.jpg
    1404873177988.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,010
I have the same fixture over my 29 and I like it a whole bunch. I think you will be very happy.
 
Awesome :) Glad someone else has experience with it
Jebao WP-10 came in today, along with test kit and chemipure elite. Got the tank partitions siliconed in and lights installed ^_^
WGwCg5D.jpg

l2vZIuh.jpg

QxMSRCL.jpg

XgP9Rx2.jpg
 
I'll be tagging along!! :)
 
you sound like you definitely know what you're doing! Looking forward to your progress! have you thought about sexy shrimp and maxi mini nem? that would pop on black sand I think
 
I like to just assume I have no idea what I'm doing and double check everything with the experts on sites like this :P I would love some sexy shrimp (that red would look great! thanks for the idea!) and a nem, but I'm trying to wait to see how I can maintain my water quality before I pick livestock, especially needy ones like nems :) I know for sure I want a Randall's goby and Tiger shrimp, but beyond that still up in the air!
 
Warp has decided to set up offerings hoping for some awesome hitchhikers on today's live rock shipment :P
 

Attachments

  • 1405086055084.jpg
    1405086055084.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 947
My rock is gorgeous!
 

Attachments

  • 1405121286112.jpg
    1405121286112.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 967
  • 1405121334239.jpg
    1405121334239.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 949
  • 1405121364707.jpg
    1405121364707.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 941
Day 2 test results! Ammonia between 1 and 2, nitrite 1, nitrates 5 :) first very mobile hitch hiker as well, a snail!
 

Attachments

  • 1405178876195.jpg
    1405178876195.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 915
Thank you :)
Did a 30% water change today and got a skimmer hooked up! Just adding some fun pics of one of the other clams and a very happy hidden cup coral with all its tentacles out and wavy
yrg3Zrr.jpg

Nbdh9x3.jpg
 
Some more rock pics today! Ammonia is up to 4, doing a 14 gal water change tomorrow afternoon. All the cup corals are out and happy, clams still all responsive :) Took pics of all the anemones and some of the more colorful rocks today!
C6WKfgI.jpg

LzgnRXq.jpg

cgtZgMx.jpg

ieiWqJJ.jpg

ko7mjo7.jpg

QzL5QSB.jpg

utZzZqG.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new