A "How To" Question on Cleaning Sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter herefishy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

herefishy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have about 40lbs of sand I put into a rubbermaid container. It was live from a tank I took down. I want to use the sand again but obviously need to clean it and 'cure' it. What is the best way to go about doing that? I left it on my back patio for about 3 weeks in the weather....drained it and let it partly dry. I have rinsed it and drained it again....what next (besides the tempting "throw it out and start new") Thanks....
 
the best way is put it in a pillow case and hang it from the bathtub spout and let the water run threw it for a little while to really get it clean..;) then ya might want to rinse it with saltwater or not "i didnt" and go for it!!!!:) if your cycling the tank there is no worries... if adding to a established tank i would only put a cup every other day or so...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new