A little confused

luigid26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t understand what is going on with my tank, I’ve had a sailfin tang for about two months and it has been doing great. Last week I decided to buy a blue hippo tang and it was doing fine , Two nights ago I found my sailfin dead checked all my water levels and everything was up to par, then last night I noticed my blue tang was laying on its side which I know sometimes they do this when they are stressed but then this morning I found him completely dead also... just don’t understand what’s going on I also have two clowns and one damsel and a goby in a 60 gallon tank.... tank has been running for a little bit over nine months and have not had anything die until I started with the tangs

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of the tangs should have been in tanks about 3 times that size. Did you notice any aggression? Before death any discolorations on their bodies? Stress could have led to illness. Would need photos to verify.

Miklo_Miklo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have
Don’t understand what is going on with my tank, I’ve had a sailfin tang for about two months and it has been doing great. Last week I decided to buy a blue hippo tang and it was doing fine , Two nights ago I found my sailfin dead checked all my water levels and everything was up to par, then last night I noticed my blue tang was laying on its side which I know sometimes they do this when they are stressed but then this morning I found him completely dead also... just don’t understand what’s going on I also have two clowns and one damsel and a goby in a 60 gallon tank.... tank has been running for a little bit over nine months and have not had anything die until I started with the tangs
any pics?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A couple of things that come to mind you may want to check:
-Stray voltage (could be from powerhead or heater or return pump)
- flukes
- Water quality. I hate to repeat this over and over but if youre using API test kits, you may have high ammonia and or nitrate and not realize it.
- High salinity (calibrate your tester and recheck tank )

Have you noticed any twitching behavior?
Rapid Breathing ?
Loss of Appetite?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome38.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Might you define "up to par" ... as maybe you aren't testing everything that might be causing this

+1 water quality check including salinity check... don't just recalibrate, take sample to local fish store for their salinity verification (I had a defective Hanna that drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong... recalibration doesn't work if defective <wink>)

Going forward, size fish for your tank based on their adult sizes unless you have definite plans for much larger tank - sailfin will reach 18" However, size alone would not cause deaths like described. Tangs are to tanks like canaries to coal mines. Clowns and damsels are TOUGH fish, but ammonia too high can kill them too.

Suspect something with water, assuming you are using RO water to make saltwater as all sorts of nasties can be in tap water. Do partial water change to try to clear up whatever it is, but don't add or change much until cause found. Good Luck!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back