A lot has changed in this hobby

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone --

Just wanted to say hi. It's been years since I've setup a reef tank, and I tend not to count my 20 gal cube since it's super simple setup with only mushrooms in it (my 14 year old pajama cardinal died a while ago :( super sad).

I just recently bought a 150 gal SCA tank and am in the process of setting this up. I have an Apex on my 20 gal, so that will definitely transfer over. My initial thoughts are to use Halides since the LEDs cost so much over the years given their lifespans or a combination of the two for a mixed reef (RedSea 160s). The biggest thing I want to do is NOT use powerheads that stick onto the sides of the tank. I want to use a large closed loop system but I've not found much info on folks doing that so I may abandon that plan.. I will probably be talked into using Tunze, or something, but the costs are so high for that, I'd rather spend the money on corals.

Hopefully in the next 2 months, I'll have the tank setup, but the many options on controllers, monitors, and dosing seems to have grown. This is the fun part though, so I'm excited!
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Take a look at the T5 hybrid fixtures that let you add the LED's of your choice(within the confines of the space available of course). This would let you start with T5's and add LED(s) at your leisure.

Also, don't let the lack of current closed loop systems dissuade you from going that route. A few years ago T5 and MH seemed to be confined to the last few proponents of those lighting systems. Now they're making a comeback as many people are tired of buying new units every 3-5 years. Plus, there does seem to be significant benefit of combining multiple lighting technologies. Closed loop may become the "in" thing again once we all get tired of replacing powerheads lol!

One area that has really changed is the knowledge of chemistry. Not that everything is known yet, but it's acknowledged that trace elements may be far more important then we knew 5-10 years ago. And there are a slew of systems out there to address it.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!! I appreciate it.

I'm definitely going to figure out a closed loop system. Just always nervous drilling brand new shiny tanks, but I drilled my old 50g with fish still in it (acrylic) so it can't be that nerve wracking.

I'm definitely still wanting MH, or maybe 2 400w halides and a RedSea 90 in the middle (reef structures will be right and left with negative space in the middle). T5s added if I can FIND a pendant that can hold them with halides. I don't have a canopy, so I want to keep it "clean"

I have read up on some of the things that have changed regarding chemistry, filtration, skimmers, etc and wow that was a learning trip. I'm super happy I went with an Apex this round as monitoring my old 50g was annoying, so no way I'd do it on a 150g.

NOW THE ETERNAL QUESTION: Filter Sock, Fleece, or nada. My skimmer is an old ASM G2 (still works, why would I buy a new one?) and since it's modded to be a re-circ I figure that will be plenty for a 150 if I add a fleece roller, but dang them sumps are pricey! I think the Trigger Systems Platinum was more than my tank! Thinking about a Sapphire 39 and I can add a fleece roller later? Dunno yet. Trying to see where I can save money without wasting it having to upgrade later.

Now that it's stopped raining, I think I can go out and build the stand for it. Going to be wood with a removable Oak front and sides (with doors on front).

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like some good plans you have there. I run MH and T5s and probably always will. Mainly because I am too lazy to learn about all the specifics of LEDs. I have LEDs on my 6g, but really, what is there to learn on such a small system.

400s are quite large for s 150, but I guess you are keeping sps. :)

I got a pendant from Hamilton that holds my 3MH and 4 T5s. They have many configurations for LEDss, MH, T5s. I actually talked to them as I did not want the ballasts and such. Super helpful and got me exactly what I needed. Pendant looks very nice. It is a 5ft over my 210g.

Good luck!

xtremesouth81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone --

Just wanted to say hi. It's been years since I've setup a reef tank, and I tend not to count my 20 gal cube since it's super simple setup with only mushrooms in it (my 14 year old pajama cardinal died a while ago :( super sad).

I just recently bought a 150 gal SCA tank and am in the process of setting this up. I have an Apex on my 20 gal, so that will definitely transfer over. My initial thoughts are to use Halides since the LEDs cost so much over the years given their lifespans or a combination of the two for a mixed reef (RedSea 160s). The biggest thing I want to do is NOT use powerheads that stick onto the sides of the tank. I want to use a large closed loop system but I've not found much info on folks doing that so I may abandon that plan.. I will probably be talked into using Tunze, or something, but the costs are so high for that, I'd rather spend the money on corals.

Hopefully in the next 2 months, I'll have the tank setup, but the many options on controllers, monitors, and dosing seems to have grown. This is the fun part though, so I'm excited!
I prefer closed loop as well. the only catch is how comfortable are you with drilling glass , i would put on intake in the middle and have 2 to 4 returns. Pump technology is way better so you can use controllable pumps, on my 180 peninsula I used one 2 inch intake and four 3/4 returns, i used live rock to hide the returns and the flow was awesome. Also all that plumbing is going to have to share space under your tank with your sump.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer closed loop as well. the only catch is how comfortable are you with drilling glass , i would put on intake in the middle and have 2 to 4 returns. Pump technology is way better so you can use controllable pumps, on my 180 peninsula I used one 2 inch intake and four 3/4 returns, i used live rock to hide the returns and the flow was awesome. Also all that plumbing is going to have to share space under your tank with your sump.
I think I'll be able to have room for extra plumbing. I'll have a Trigger Systems 39, so that leaves 18 usable inches for the closed loop pump (reeflo barracuda for now I'm thinking). I was thinking two 1" intakes behind each of my rock structures and then 2 outputs on each side giving a total 5,000gph+ flow. I'd love to get an abyzz pump to tune it up an down, but those are kinda pricey.

Stand is built and ready for sealing, then the top plate put on. Then I'll cut the bottom and back out. Front/sides will be made from walnut I think, all removable for easy access. 40.5" height.
1641248056073.png

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to r2r,hope all is well,that's a ripe old age of 14 for a cardinal,must be doing something right.
I'm sure lots have changed since you first started in the hobby
Yeah, he was so awesome. A loner, really. he bullied all of his fellow cardinals and didn't seem to accept any we tried to group him with. So it was just him and Yasha goby/Pistol Shrimp for years. I had no idea a cardinal could live past 5 or 6 in captivity. It was a large part of my life come to think of it. (he died Aug 2020). Just didn't see him ever again. here's a pic of him. His name is Gideon.

1641250625887.png

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone --

Welcome! Glad you joined. Remember, its YOUR tank so do your research and do what you want - doesn't matter if not a lot seem to be doing it too... there are a lot that don't speak up. There is so much variety and so many options - let us know where you land on things!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, he was so awesome. A loner, really. he bullied all of his fellow cardinals and didn't seem to accept any we tried to group him with. So it was just him and Yasha goby/Pistol Shrimp for years. I had no idea a cardinal could live past 5 or 6 in captivity. It was a large part of my life come to think of it. (he died Aug 2020). Just didn't see him ever again. here's a pic of him. His name is Gideon.

1641250625887.png

Sorry for your loss. Gideon will always be in your heart. RIP Gideon

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... It's been years since I've setup a reef tank,
...I have an Apex ... that will definitely transfer over.
... Hopefully in the next 2 months, I'll have the tank setup, but the many options on controllers, monitors, and dosing seems to have grown. This is the fun part though, so I'm excited!

Welcome to R2R !

You'll find a community that help you with many issues here.

As a novice, I look forward to hearing what works for you and watching the success of your new tank.

Best wishes for the project and 2022,
Jim

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Remember, its YOUR tank so do your research and do what you want - doesn't matter if not a lot seem to be doing it too... there are a lot that don't speak up. There is so much variety and so many options - let us know where you land on things!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

I think I WILL setup a new tank build thread. It's been fun so far! Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back