A lot has changed in this hobby

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone --

Just wanted to say hi. It's been years since I've setup a reef tank, and I tend not to count my 20 gal cube since it's super simple setup with only mushrooms in it (my 14 year old pajama cardinal died a while ago :( super sad).

I just recently bought a 150 gal SCA tank and am in the process of setting this up. I have an Apex on my 20 gal, so that will definitely transfer over. My initial thoughts are to use Halides since the LEDs cost so much over the years given their lifespans or a combination of the two for a mixed reef (RedSea 160s). The biggest thing I want to do is NOT use powerheads that stick onto the sides of the tank. I want to use a large closed loop system but I've not found much info on folks doing that so I may abandon that plan.. I will probably be talked into using Tunze, or something, but the costs are so high for that, I'd rather spend the money on corals.

Hopefully in the next 2 months, I'll have the tank setup, but the many options on controllers, monitors, and dosing seems to have grown. This is the fun part though, so I'm excited!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone --

Just wanted to say hi. It's been years since I've setup a reef tank, and I tend not to count my 20 gal cube since it's super simple setup with only mushrooms in it (my 14 year old pajama cardinal died a while ago :( super sad).

I just recently bought a 150 gal SCA tank and am in the process of setting this up. I have an Apex on my 20 gal, so that will definitely transfer over. My initial thoughts are to use Halides since the LEDs cost so much over the years given their lifespans or a combination of the two for a mixed reef (RedSea 160s). The biggest thing I want to do is NOT use powerheads that stick onto the sides of the tank. I want to use a large closed loop system but I've not found much info on folks doing that so I may abandon that plan.. I will probably be talked into using Tunze, or something, but the costs are so high for that, I'd rather spend the money on corals.

Hopefully in the next 2 months, I'll have the tank setup, but the many options on controllers, monitors, and dosing seems to have grown. This is the fun part though, so I'm excited!

Attachments

• 72267.png
    72267.png
    57 KB · Views: 18

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Tunze guy. With that said take a look at Jeabo pumps.
I run 0w25's in my 45 frag system,
Ow40's in my 120, and a ow10 in my fuge.
They have been nothing short of amazing. They have good controlers and have worked well from day one.
Another note: you can buy 4 ow40's for the price of 1 Tunze 6105.
And.....
giphy (1).gif

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone --

Since you have a couple months and are into MH maybe look into a MH/T5 combo setup if you haven’t already. So many options for customizing color that way.

T5 are my favorite. Although I do run LED primarily for the heat issue associated with the others.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the salty side and the community! I wouldn't discount your 20g! If it was running as a reef or FOWLR it counts! :) I'm running a bare bones 5g that started with fish only and I just added my first corals. :) Looking forward to seeing your new build!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back