A memorial for my beloved pico.

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, last night i came home from work to find my pico crashing. we rushed to the LFS and picked up anything and everything to test and treat, but it was too late. What happened was a hermit crab died behind my scape, and threw the water quality off. i didn’t notice in time so one colony started dying and then it crashed the cycle taking everything with it. this is a hard loss. we have a few frags a local reefer friend picked up this morning to try to save. it was an awful night. an awful day.

taking a break for a minute. we have ordered a new red sea reefer 250 that we are going to start slow. our hearts are broken.

AD925289-19A8-4054-B78F-5C18AFFA13D3.jpeg 97672C60-B226-44FE-A8E0-74094ECD039F.jpeg

1clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I am so sorry to hear this! I am sure it must have been very hard :( I had a 5 gallon pick at one time it crashed as well though mine had zero corals so this must have been heartbreaking . I hope you have more luck in the future :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, last night i came home from work to find my pico crashing. we rushed to the LFS and picked up anything and everything to test and treat, but it was too late. What happened was a hermit crab died behind my scape, and threw the water quality off. i didn’t notice in time so one colony started dying and then it crashed the cycle taking everything with it. this is a hard loss. we have a few frags a local reefer friend picked up this morning to try to save. it was an awful night. an awful day.

taking a break for a minute. we have ordered a new red sea reefer 250 that we are going to start slow. our hearts are broken.

AD925289-19A8-4054-B78F-5C18AFFA13D3.jpeg 97672C60-B226-44FE-A8E0-74094ECD039F.jpeg
Say what now?! Oh no, beautiful tank! So sorry for the loss, devastating.
How big was this crab? Hermit crab? That seems like it's too small to do something this massive.

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say what now?! Oh no, beautiful tank! So sorry for the loss, devastating.
How big was this crab? Hermit crab? That seems like it's too small to do something this massive.
a single crab alone wont cause it. let me explain . its a 3 gallon tank probably 2.5 gallons with rock. it was a domino effect. crab dies hurting the quality, a weak coral cant take the swing and starts to die, that coral dying off tanks the water quality further and then everything starts to die overloading the cycle and ultimately crashing it.. it was just an unfortunate nightmare.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a beautiful tank. I may just be optimistic but if water quality can get under control, looks like there’s a few potentially salvagable pieces in there

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a beautiful tank. I may just be optimistic but if water quality can get under control, looks like there’s a few potentially salvagable pieces in there
I was thinking the same thing don't give up on them. I've had corals come back from certain death

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old was the tank ? Looks nice but euphyllia can be pretty temperamental

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really and truly i tried, but it was too late unfortunately. they melted right infront of my eyes. the smell was uncanny. the ones in the photo specifically the green torch to the lefts flesh fell off when i picked it up. i pulled some pieces out that my friend is currently trying to save before i took that photo. the pulsing xenia however, doing fine of course.

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats was one amazing tank. Reminds me of my old fluval 13.5. It was stacked with euphylia coral plenty nano fish. It was stable and perfect until the pump died during a 5 day vacation. within a day of the pump failing, it suffered a major bacterial bloom and wiped out all the lifestock. Thats the problem with nano tanks, there is very little wiggle room for error. esp a 5 gallon.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back