A Mixed Reef with Canine Supervision

Devin6871

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!,

I started a build in June and figured it was time for a thread.

I kept a saltwater tank more than ten years ago. It was a 33 long with a 250w metal halide that kept a few sps, a rainbow bubble tip, and some assorted live stock . After moving a couple times and taking the tank with me I made the decision to give up the hobby until I bought a house.

I started getting chatty about it at work last winter and it turned out a coworker used to keep saltwater and had gone through a similar experience. He also decided to wait until he got a house, and of course, just moved into his several months after I moved into mine. He immediately bought a Reefer 350 and had it up in running in days.

I only mention this because I had no intention of going as big as I did, with a Reefer 525xl. But of course had to get one over on him. So here we are.

20200613_172510.jpg

I ordered the tank from a local store and it arrived while I was at work. I knew it was going in the dining room. I didn't really conceptualize how big it was before it showed up so I was a bit excited when it showed up. So was Tippy.

20200614_115013.jpg

Assembly probably would have taken half the time if not for being careful around the lady.

20200625_183155.jpg

Whenever I build a computer I take a swag pile picture. I decided to run Kessil 360we and got a sweet deal on the sponsor sales forum from Monterey Bay Corals.

20200614_180758.jpg

This is just after moving the tank over onto the complete stand and I am spent from keeping up with the dog

For rockscape I wanted to make a cool little cliff. I got some shelf rock from BRS and some caribsea shelf rock which is just regular rock sliced in half and works well for foundation.

20200707_165022.jpg

This was just to work out placement and where the big shelf would end up in relation to the tank.

20200709_201033.jpg

Slimer staring on in awe as I absolutely destroy the surface of my kitchen table. I had safety glasses on and decided to just drill holes through a ton of rocks and use it as a rotisserie of sorts on a fiberglass rod.

20200709_225810.jpg

The finished scape. I think I have made a few small adjustments since.

20200905_155550.jpg

And here is the tank up and running.

I've got an order to snag from ARC, thanks to the weekend's live sale, and once I have it placed I will post some updated tank shots.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back