A murder case or just something else???

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I found my Purple Orchid Dottyback dead,
temp_photo.jpg
he was very active and healthy, he was eating like a pig. Last night he hang out until the lights went moon, when he recessed to his crevis. But during the day I haven't see him, but it wasn't an issue because he used to hang out inside the caves of the aquascape.

Also something strange happens last night with this little fellow my Camel Shrimp or Humpback Shrimp.
IMG_20160630_211022729.jpg

He used to hangout on the rockworks by the overflow since I bring him home. (Like in the picture above). But last night he crawl down to the aquascape below to one of the caves. So I said "Cool... finally he's going to be more in sight".
But today, I find him as always, on the overflow area with another skin change. And no sign of my Dottyback.
My question here is...
IF HIM A MURDERER???
What you all think?, did any one have previously any experience with Humpback Shrimp.

OP
OP
Gino

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Dottyback had ich. He may have died from the disease or was "cleaned up" by the CUC if he was in the process of dying.
That pic was old, the only one I had from him when he does have ick. But after QT he was back in shape and back to DT. For almost two months now. And the Shrimp is only three weeks in DT. I'm sure he wasn't sick everyone else is OK.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I lost a perfect Johnson wrasse with no desease, eating and all. Flashing with other Johnson before the lights went out and found him dead in the morning. Dotty backs are known for dropping dead like that almost having a heart attack per say.

OP
OP
Gino

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip and Hidrogen peroxide 25ppm at QT for the first four days and then increase to 50ppm for one more week and Every two days water changes. And after that, observation and a heavy diet with garlic just to improve his immune system. He was fine. No evidence of ick or even a scar.

OP
OP
Gino

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a perfect Johnson wrasse with no desease, eating and all. Flashing with other Johnson before the lights went out and found him dead in the morning. Dotty backs are known for dropping dead like that almost having a heart attack per say.
Well, I didn't know that fact about those suddenly dead on them. But it can be. I will keep an eye on Quasimodo... because if I found someone else dead, it might be him. Everyone else is doing fine.

alamo28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for sure your shrimp didn't take out a dottyback. I have a soft spot for neon dottybacks and the first one I had was fine for almost a year, nothing seemed to bother that fish even when I went away to indo on a 2 week collecting trip and came home to my main tank with sky high nitrates. Every sps coral was dead along with almost every fish dead but 2 damsels (that I would have been happy if they died) and my neon dottyback. I was starting to believe tree fish was bionic but then a few months later I found him dead in one of his favorite doors to hang out. Sometimes when a fish dies and water is good you just have to chalk it up to the what the heck file.

OP
OP
Gino

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for sure your shrimp didn't take out a dottyback. I have a soft spot for neon dottybacks and the first one I had was fine for almost a year, nothing seemed to bother that fish even when I went away to indo on a 2 week collecting trip and came home to my main tank with sky high nitrates. Every sps coral was dead along with almost every fish dead but 2 damsels (that I would have been happy if they died) and my neon dottyback. I was starting to believe tree fish was bionic but then a few months later I found him dead in one of his favorite doors to hang out. Sometimes when a fish dies and water is good you just have to chalk it up to the *** file.
Wao, that was a major crash, sorry for that. I might keep a close eye just in case he got a dark side... jajaja. But it could be as you and TUSI comment, a sudden death.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip and Hidrogen peroxide 25ppm at QT for the first four days and then increase to 50ppm for one more week and Every two days water changes. And after that, observation and a heavy diet with garlic just to improve his immune system. He was fine. No evidence of ick or even a scar.
H202 for ich? I'm gonna go with he still had ich. That's the first I've heard of treating ich that way. Garlic is also a myth. You might have built up his amunue system using garlic, but I do not think ich was fully eradicated from this system. Was the main tank fallow for 76 days. Freshwater dips just help relieve the symptoms of ich not kill it.
@melypr1985 have you heard of curing ich with h202?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back