PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea Reefer 425XL arrived today.
Now to start the journey
It'll be almost 2 years since I started reefing with my minireef120.
I hope this goes as well.
Still not sure where to put it.

20230928_185600.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun cleaning. Overflow has some grow.
Will have to dismantle to clean
All a part of the journey mate ;) bring in the misses and have fun with it! Can’t wait to see what you make of it.. Enjoy! :p

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the selfie. My wife alerted me to put a shirt on.
All clean and filled with fresh water. Any bugs from previous owner will hopefully not survive a few days of fresh water.
Amazingly I found while cleaning pods and bristleworms still alive in the sludge. The tank was drained a week before I got it.

20231001_174925.jpg

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the selfish. My wife alerted me to put a shirt on

20231001_174925.jpg
Well done mate! :star-struck: What a difference that made..

Cracking looking tank you have behind you there.. Looks awesome!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea Reefer 425XL arrived today.
Now to start the journey
It'll be almost 2 years since I started reefing with my minireef120.
I hope this goes as well.
Still not sure where to put it.

20230928_185600.jpg
If unsure where to put, you could put in my living room! I look forward to watching this build.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the updates
Tank has been running fresh water since the weekend
few bottles of vinegar and a few packs of citric acid.
PH is now below 5 so is acidic to a minor extent.
It's working to remove dried algae I missed. spiroid worms cases are dissolving.
Still found dead bristelworms. Must have been hiding well.
Picking up sand today.
2nd Hydra 32 on the way. Will I need a 3rd?
I'll put a Jebao gyre in once it's got stock in it.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like about a 1 inch depth of sand Thats about 2.5 cm. I don't think it matters, but that's what I like.

That tank is about 90 US Gallons.. or 350 liters. Decent size but will still present some difficulty with stocking.

I would move the lights apart a bit to ensure as even coverage as possible. From the posted photo it appears that you will have a "hotspot" in the center while the corners will be underlit. This is my opinion and not a rule. You could easily set your corals in a way that would take advantage of the brighter and darker areas. It really is what do you think is best for the system you plan.

Back to the stock point.. what is your goal there? Most Tangs will be unhappy overall with that limited space. Clowns will be fine. Chromis, Damsels, possibly a dwarf angel.. basically small fish...

You should think ahead to function of your stock as well as beauty. I like fish that also serve a purpose.. such as a Tang to nibble algae, or a CBB to nibble Aiptasia.. that kind of thing.. Not really a fan of useless eaters.

Then consider what corals you plan to stock.. do you have ample room for them to grow? How will they play with the fish you plan to stock? Do you have adequate light if you decide you want to go with an SPS dominant setup?

What CUC to you plan?

Do you have a backup plan for if any of your original ideas don't pan out? Say for instance, you stock a bunch of Peppermint shrimp, but they refuse to eat the Aiptasia that somehow managed to get in your tank and is now taking over. What then?

Just some ideas to have in mind.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like about a 1 inch depth of sand Thats about 2.5 cm. I don't think it matters, but that's what I like.

That tank is about 90 US Gallons.. or 350 liters. Decent size but will still present some difficulty with stocking.

I would move the lights apart a bit to ensure as even coverage as possible. From the posted photo it appears that you will have a "hotspot" in the center while the corners will be underlit. This is my opinion and not a rule. You could easily set your corals in a way that would take advantage of the brighter and darker areas. It really is what do you think is best for the system you plan.

Back to the stock point.. what is your goal there? Most Tangs will be unhappy overall with that limited space. Clowns will be fine. Chromis, Damsels, possibly a dwarf angel.. basically small fish...

You should think ahead to function of your stock as well as beauty. I like fish that also serve a purpose.. such as a Tang to nibble algae, or a CBB to nibble Aiptasia.. that kind of thing.. Not really a fan of useless eaters.

Then consider what corals you plan to stock.. do you have ample room for them to grow? How will they play with the fish you plan to stock? Do you have adequate light if you decide you want to go with an SPS dominant setup?

What CUC to you plan?

Do you have a backup plan for if any of your original ideas don't pan out? Say for instance, you stock a bunch of Peppermint shrimp, but they refuse to eat the Aiptasia that somehow managed to get in your tank and is now taking over. What then?

I'm moving from a 120 minreef.
No tangs. I'm not play roulette.
More substrate from the existing tank will give me the inch.
Largest fish is foxface atm. One lemon peel angel.

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving from a 120 minreef.
No tangs. I'm not play roulette.
More substrate from the existing tank will give me the inch.
What other fish? Not sure yet.

What you do with your tank is an individual as everyone else's tanks. I am simply calling attention to possible stress points you might encounter. Honestly, I am the one who ignores "rules" and does what I like anyway. That is why I had 4 Tangs in a 55g.. lol

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What CUC to you plan?

Moved lights to 1ft from outside edge.
I have a hd16 I might put in the middle

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back