A new metric on the rise.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I have the cola bulb from Wavepoint and its a weird bulb. It's not reddish like a fiji pink or any bulbs similar to it. It's actually blue dominant with a hint/haze of red/pink

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something about the spectrum in other sources that does something different.

I agree - and the green light is one but there is other things too. If you look closely at the spectra in post 20 you maybe can get some ideas. Look at the last post in my build thread – I´ll have some ideas that’s under investigation

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
oreo54

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find this interesting..
http://www.deepsea.com/wp-content/uploads/201305_Understading_Basics_Underwater_Lighting_ONT.pdf
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924796314002577

for fun 8130K, 86CRI (D65) no whites were used:
nobody.jpg

* MIXING LIST
----------------------------------------
LED UV (400nm) [120°] x1
LED RoyalBlue (440nm) [120°] x3
LED Blue (470nm) [120°] x3
LED Cyan (490nm) [120°] x2
LED Green (540nm) [120°] x13
LED Amber (590nm) [120°] x3
LED Red (620nm) [120°] x3
LED DeepRed (640nm) [120°] x1
LED DeepRed (650nm) [120°] x1
LED DeepRed (660nm) [120°] x3
LED DeepRed (680nm) [120°] x1

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 2,006 lm
Radiant flux : 8,459 mW
PPF : 37.8 umol/s
TCP : 8130 K
CRI : 86
λp : 438 nm
Color : #E3D0FF

* PERFORMANCE @ 30cm
Irradiance : 10 W/m²/s
Illuminance : 2,366 lx
PPFD : 44.6 umol/m²/s

by SPECTRA 1.0β @ 1.023world
http://spectra.1023world.net/

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea

I´m familiarly with what happens with certain wavelengths in water. That’s one of the problems I have to make some of my theories to fit in. Green – no problem because it goes very deep but far red (735 nm) disappear rather fast. Interesting too see your charts – there is normally trace amounts of 735 down to 1 m in normal reefs.

However have this wavelengths any importance for the rate of photosynthesis in an aquarium Yes it can have if most corals have ability to use this (and surrounding wavelengths) wavelength as a co-worker between the different photosystems (as terrestrial plants have). Its not sure because recently it has been showed that the eel grass (Zostera marina) have lost these genes. But if they have – it could explain some of the questions that have been raised.

I have always wonder why its so common with fluorescence among corals. It has to has some biological importance – its not there in order to please us. The normal answer is that its there for protection from UV. But the most dangerous forms of UV disappear as fast as far red in water. Even deep-water corals have fluorescence, Why. Two things coming up in my mind – fluorescence alter the light regime in deep water – suddenly you have photons that fit better in the photosynthesis and what happens with the energy spill over from the fluorescence? Yea – I know it will be heat – by in which form will the heat leave the coral? Have any one investigates if fluorescence can emit far red? I know – is wild speculations but sometimes it need to be done.

There is a work done about the theory of altering of the light regime in deeper water by fluorescence, but I can´t get it for the moment.

I will meet the guy that told me about this article this afternoon – I´ll be back in this issue later on.

OP – can we continue this discussion in this thread or should we start a new one?

I hope that I with this post put some “myror i skallen på er” Its Swedish for making people to think outside the box – direct translated as “putting some ants in your head” :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
oreo54

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One part:
We quantified the effect of adding far-red light (peak at 735nm) to red/blue or warm-white light on the photosynthetic efficiency of lettuce (Lactuca sativa). Adding far-red light immediately increased quantum yield of photosystem II (ΦPSII) of lettuce by an average of 6.5 and 3.6% under red/blue and warm-white light, respectively. Similar or greater increases in ΦPSII were observed after 20min of exposure to far-red light. This longer-term effect of far-red light on ΦPSII was accompanied by a reduction in non-photochemical quenching of fluorescence (NPQ), indicating that far-red light reduced the dissipation of absorbed light as heat. The increase in ΦPSII and complementary decrease in NPQ is presumably due to preferential excitation of photosystem I (PSI) by far-red light, which leads to faster re-oxidization of the plastoquinone pool. This facilitates reopening of PSII reaction centers, enabling them to use absorbed photons more efficiently. The increase in ΦPSII by far-red light was associated with an increase in net photosynthesis (Pn). The stimulatory effect of far-red light increased asymptotically with increasing amounts of far-red. Overall, our results show that far-red light can increase the photosynthetic efficiency of shorter wavelength light that over-excites PSII.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28039776

By analyzing how well how well different light colors spread through dense layers of zooxanthellae, researchers from the United Kingdom’s University of Southampton, the Interuniversity Institute for Marine Sciences of Eilat, and the University of Haifa were able to ascertain that corals in in deep water make a special type of fluorescent protein that captures blue light and re-emits it as orange-red light. The orange-red light can penetrate more deeply into the coral’s tissue, essentially allowing the coral to spoon-feed the zooxanthellae the light it needs.

To help confirm their findings, they exposed bright red, fluorescent corals and similar but unpigmented ones to simulated deep water light environments in an aquarium. The red corals survived better in the long run that their unpigmented counterparts.
https://www.popsci.com/why-deep-sea-coral-glow#page-3
: Edward G. Smith et al. Acclimatization of symbiotic corals to mesophotic light environments through wavelength transformation by fluorescent protein pigments, Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences (2017). DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2017.0320

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-deep-corals-dark-survive.html#jCp

For interest..
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...m-then-glow-brightly-before-they-die-2197598/

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oreo5457 Thank you - it must been this paper my friend told me about. I will study it later on.

If you go to the last pages of my build thread you will se an experiment (not scientific) there I ad far red over just a part of my reef. I have run it for 1 month now and in the beginning I was ready to put that theory among the others in the trash bin - but at the moment I´m not sure it will end up there because I think I can see some differences - especially in growth rates. The experiment will continue.

I wonder if we not are on our ways to establish LED as the main option for reef tanks?

Sincerely Lasse

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any one investigates if fluorescence can emit far red? I know – is wild speculations but sometimes it need to be done.

There is a work done about the theory of altering of the light regime in deeper water by fluorescence, but I can´t get it for the moment.

Far red emittance is definitely one of the end results of photosynthesis AFAIK....from reading, that is what makes the deep ocean glow red, and what apparently drives the emerson effect to enable photosynthesis with no "usable light".

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back