View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys ,
I came across this article very sad and depressing
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459330086.769082.jpg

GIZMODO

If scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef is on your bucket list, you might want to book tickets soon. This week, marine biologists dropped some horribly depressing news: the Great Barrier Reef is dying. The world’s largest reef is in the midst of a widespread coral bleaching event, and scientists aren’t sure whether it will fully recover.
Over the past few days, Terry Hughes of James Cook University has led aerial surveys of more than 500 reefs from Cairns to Papa New Guinea, including the most pristine sections of the Great Barrier Reef. Everywhere Hughes traveled, he was met with a nightmarish scene—the ghostly white remains of a once vibrant ecosystem. All told, Hughes estimates that 95 percent of the northern Great Barrier Reef is “severely bleached,” marking the worst such event on record.
“Almost without exception, every reef we flew across showed consistently high levels of bleaching, from the reef slope right up onto the top of the reef,” Hughes said in a statement. “This has been the saddest research trip of my life.”
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459330109.174262.jpg

Coral reefs are extremely temperature-sensitive organisms, and when the water gets a bit too toasty, they expel their symbiotic algae, called zooxanthellae. When this happens, the coral loses both its vibrant color and its ability to feed itself. Bleaching leaves reefs more susceptible to disease and starvation.
Coral bleaching events used to be infrequent and geographically restricted, but recently, they’ve become much more common, widespread, and devastating. The first global bleaching event occurred during the 1997-1998 El Niño and killed a whopping 18 percent of corals across the planet.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459330128.008907.jpg

Since 2014, we’ve been witness to a souped-up repeat of that event. Corals are bleaching everywhere, because the planet has been too dang hot for too many months on end. In the fall, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicted that the current global bleaching epidemic would impact nearly 40 percent of all reefs. In February, NOAA added that this year’s monster El Niño was exacerbating the die-off which might not end until 2017.
Coral bleaching in the Great Barrier Reef is a piece of a much bigger picture, and it shows us that even the most pristine ecosystems on Earth are susceptible to the impacts of climate change.
The real concern is that these reefs—which provide habitat to roughly a quarter of all marine species—won’t be able to muster a full recovery. “You have reefs getting hammered time and time again, year after year,” NOAA oceanographer Mark Eakin told Gizmodo last month. “Recovery at this point is very limited.”

By MADDIES STONE
March 29 2016 6:55 am

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...what a bummer man...this is a sad deal here and not much we can do....wish was like giant chillers we could try cooling the ocean off with lol

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were diving around Cairns in September, it is pretty bad.

I know it was just the beginning of spring, and an El Nino year, but we need to become a better species to this ball of rock and water.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So devastating and sad. Wish we could do something about it. Unfortunatelly all the pollution and human bad influense is causing this. The ones that can do something about it wont do a thing.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most politicians and governments could care less too. It's insane what is going on in our world, and our population is exponential which will be more pollution...unless wars start going down..hard to not think that we're in a lose-lose situation on this planet..

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most politicians and governments could care less too. It's insane what is going on in our world, and our population is exponential which will be more pollution...unless wars start going down..hard to not think that we're in a lose-lose situation on this planet..

Nature always seems to find a way to maintain balance over the long term. If not wars, then some other massive culling of the population. One can dream, lol...

I'm reminded of my favorite George Carlin bit: the only reason mankind exists is because God couldn't figure out how to make plastic.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humans cause this. Nothing we can do.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brings back memories of the famous Agent smith from Matrix saying:

"I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had, during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you aren’t actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague..."

Very sad because its true. Sea around Asia is fishless "ocean desert"

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brings back memories of the famous Agent smith from Matrix saying:

"I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had, during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you aren’t actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague..."

Very sad because its true. Sea around Asia is fishless "ocean desert"

One of the best, most relevant monologues in cinema EVER. MISter Anderson...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen several articles on this lately in the great barrier reef. Also saw one one the Caribbean reefs. Like 90 percent of the Caribbean reefs are void of reef building corals. They were showing time lapsed pictures of reefs over like 50 years and you see them go from coral and fish to nothing but rubble maybe a stray gorgonia and sponge.

Problem is this is the beginning of the end for this hobby, this much bleaching and they will ban any collecting in those areas...

There is stuff we can do.. Stop supporting countries like China who pollute. They are polluting their lands so bad they can not even eat their own animals.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several articles on this lately in the great barrier reef. Also saw one one the Caribbean reefs. Like 90 percent of the Caribbean reefs are void of reef building corals. They were showing time lapsed pictures of reefs over like 50 years and you see them go from coral and fish to nothing but rubble maybe a stray gorgonia and sponge.

Problem is this is the beginning of the end for this hobby, this much bleaching and they will ban any collecting in those areas...

There is stuff we can do.. Stop supporting countries like China who pollute. They are polluting their lands so bad they can not even eat their own animals.

I don't think we can avoid it. When 90% of our products are made in china... what phone are you using? is it an apple product?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Hopefully it will recover. Be interesting to get a triton sample!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think we can avoid it. When 90% of our products are made in china... what phone are you using? is it an apple product?

There are a lot of things you can buy from countries with clean energy policies... Watch how fast China cleans up their act if they start loosing business because of this. Start buying American and watch how fast companies move back. It is already happening. People are sick of China poisoning our kids and our animals. Selling us stuff that burns down our houses and nukes our fish tanks.

We can support clean energy policies here in the united states too..

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back