OP
OP
S

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen X is only the second generation in modern reefkeeping (keeping coral alive). Reefing as we know it is still very much in its infancy. Imagine what future generations will do with it.
Prolly eat it and see what happens, the post on whatever format is trending for views

OP
OP
S

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if he ever apologized to the guy he flamed in all those posts and reported before the guy even had a chance to post his email correspondence with FWC. Guessing not.
Nope. His emails mean nothing to me… He can resend them to fwc when they reach out. lol

Last edited:

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell them to get off your lawn, without telling them to get off your lawn.

kidding, kidding.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hobby will continue the same as it always has. We have two kids with a good number of years between them. Both enjoy helping out with the tank, going to public aquariums, coming with me to coral/fish stores, etc. There may be ebb and flow, pun intended, in reef keeping but I think it will always be around. With access to information that our community provides and today’s tech, it’s easier to get started on the right track and be successful long term. IF you want to learn/listen and apply that knowledge.

I haven’t run across what you are describing on this site. We all have our days. Maybe a snippy comment here or there over the years. Nothing like some of the old sites like RC. But any site or platform has potential for trolls these days.

If you really want to see some good commentary, grab some popcorn and go read some flat earth discussions on FB. No concern for PC answers and personal feelings there.

The fact that people even have to have flat earth discussions..... lol smh

Paging Mr. Kyrie Irving... you're wanted in the chat.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, my millennial counterpoint :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: often when I read here I feel there's some oldies who are stuck in their ways. No matter what the problem is, the answer is live-rock or t5's or both. Or they don't read the post in full and then ask a bunch of questions that were already addressed in the initial post

Millennial: help me solve this dino problem please. Here are <all parameters for past month>

Gen X: Looks like dinos. Can you post your parameters please?

Millennial: :zany-face:

It's more like this....

Gen Z: my car is on my fire, what do I do?

Gen X: get out of the car and call 911!

Gen Z: which one do I do first?

Gen X:
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nope. His emails mean nothing to me… He can resend them to fwc when they reach out. lol
Man, what has happened tho this hobby. Reading the last few weeks and just a bunch of knee jerk type reactions with no common sense reefing solutions or personally responsibility.
Pot meet kettle, and that is why this a troll thread.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @saltytanked, what you described in the first three paragraphs could be applied to the staff meeting I ZOOMED into for 2 hours this morning. The laziness of the typical participant in life these days has been told to use AI and the "Information Highway" to quickly find the truth on any subject. What they have not noticed is that the truth on many sites is edited almost daily, or if they do notice they feel lucky that whatever they read today here was a good answer.

My answer will not be read by many folks because it is already too long, which means many folks will only skim it or simply pass to the next post where someone who can summarize information better will provide a simpler answer that makes the reader feel good about themselves, which is obviously the correct answer they were looking for, even if the information is completely wrong and a total lie.

Only Jesus knows when the last reefer will emanate in this planets unfolding population. I suspect that the hobby will be outlawed and become a thing that only criminals and rich people will carry on in secret based upon the posts I read on here and the environmentalist and young people I encounter at work who value "saving the planet" a lot more than I do.

I am a skeptic when it comes to altruism and the human civilizations expansion and the history of modifications of the planet by humans. So many things look great when they first come out but after a few years (or a few centuries) the corruption or damage caused by our activities are eventually recognized and civilization pivots to fix that problem, creating something new to plague the planet. All the while the population keeps expanding until by design or by chance the house of cards collapses and all this time the reefs on the planet will keep doing what they do, with or without our coral collecting or reef tank hobby.

Actually, it's probably not all that bad, and it may never be as far as the hobby goes. I don't care. I got a new clam coming soon and I will do my best to take care of it until I get recycled at Forrest Lawn. After that I won't be able to go the LFS anymore and they probably won't miss me there either.
Wes Anderson Movie GIF by The Good Films

It's more like this....

Gen Z: my car is on my fire, what do I do?

Gen X: get out of the car and call 911!

Gen Z: which one do I do first?

Gen X:
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef
And just which generation raised Gen Z? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen Y. The forgotten generation.

But apparently lack of common sense is proved.
Nice snark.

I could do the math for you, but I'll let you see if you can figure out who is more likely to have raised someone from Gen Z:

"Generation X: with the generation being generally defined as people born from 1965 to 1980

Generation Y (Millennials): typically being defined as people born from 1981 to 1996

Generation Z: the mid-to-late 1990s as starting birth years and the early 2010s"

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Gen Y. The forgotten generation.

But apparently lack of common sense is proved . Hurt feelings next? :)
Those of us who refuse to be defined as millennial, but aren't quite old enough to be Gen X, and have the mentality of our grandparents?
Here, let me crochet you an Afghan.

Badblackdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, what has happened tho this hobby. Reading the last few weeks and just a bunch of knee jerk type reactions with no common sense reefing solutions or personally responsibility.

Just gimmie the solution to my problem and it better be right, type of mindset. Or the long winded “pc” responses, that offer zero help but lots of I’m sorry’s, cos too scared to hurt someone’s feelings.

Guess it’s just society in general theses days!

But are we GenX’rs really the last??
IMG_2571.jpeg

I do have some hope because I see a lot of younger reefers with pico and nano tanks. That is probably more of a budget and space constraint. Hopefully once they get settled in a house, they can buy a nice big tank.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back