A question regarding medications

  • Thread starter Thread starter HAAAAAAAA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

HAAAAAAAA

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2022
Messages
968
Reaction score
524
Location
Karnataka
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does metronidazole stay in the water? Does metronidazole become undetectable in 8 hours? Or it needed to be removed by carbon?

I ask the same question for powdered praziquantel, does this need to be removed by carbon after 7 days or does it evaporate by itself?

Can I use seachem kanamycin with praziquantel? Or should I remove praziquantel with carbon?

Does seachem kanamycin do the same job as praziquantel by killing internal parasites?
 
How long does metronidazole stay in the water? Does metronidazole become undetectable in 8 hours? Or it needed to be removed by carbon?

I ask the same question for powdered praziquantel, does this need to be removed by carbon after 7 days or does it evaporate by itself?

Can I use seachem kanamycin with praziquantel? Or should I remove praziquantel with carbon?

Does seachem kanamycin do the same job as praziquantel by killing internal parasites?
It’s complicated. Prazi is degraded by bacteria. The first time you dose it, it lasts about 36 hours. Then, second dose it might last 24 hours, third dose, perhaps 12. Eventually, the bacteria eat it just about as fast as you add it.

I don’t know if metronidazole is decomposed the same way, but it is often dosed every three days.

Kanamycin is an antibiotic and does not kill parasites. Praziquantel only kill on a one type of internal parasite, cestodes (tapeworms).

I try to use only one fish medication art a time, but prazi and kanamycin don’t directly react with one another. However, they both can stress the fish a little bit, so dosing at the same time increases that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new