A sad day for Sharkbait....

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow directions in this thread. Ha worked for me for years. I was not as accurate as they were and just dissolved 1/4 of each 250 or 500 mg tablet. I also have done this based on their dosing and it worked. Seems I was wasting cipro.

3 key things.

Make a stock solution and store in fridge. Much easier than dissolving a tablet or piece of tablet each time.

Dose after lights out. Cipro degrades in light. If running a uv, turn it off. skimmer and all that can stay on.

remove carbon and any other media like gfo or phosguard.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve are you comfortable dosing this into your DT with otherwise healthy nems and other livestock? Or do you usually do it in a QT tank?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve are you comfortable dosing this into your DT with otherwise healthy nems and other livestock? Or do you usually do it in a QT tank?
I have done both.

This tank just went through a heavy treatment for bjd and elegance disease, as I picked up a ton of corals for super cheap with issues.

sps, lps, zoas, nems basically everything including nps corals.
571C8255-8872-4383-9623-5D78C72C1DFF.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. I've got a nem in my display that needs cipro, but I cant get him out. I might give the full tank treatment a go.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. I've got a nem in my display that needs cipro, but I cant get him out. I might give the full tank treatment a go.
Nems are different for dosing. Not sure if the bjd dose would suffice for nem treatment. Never tried it at that low of a dose for them.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done both.

This tank just went through a heavy treatment for bjd and elegance disease, as I picked up a ton of corals for super cheap with issues.

sps, lps, zoas, nems basically everything including nps corals.
571C8255-8872-4383-9623-5D78C72C1DFF.jpeg
I chuckled at the propeller just randomly sitting there. beautiful frags.

GL shark, I hope you can save your torch. I need to get me some cipro now.

Let us know how treatment goes.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chuckled at the propeller just randomly sitting there. beautiful frags.

GL shark, I hope you can save your torch. I need to get me some cipro now.

Let us know how treatment goes.
Lol. Was soaking my new skimmer impeller to make sure no issues with it.

yoyohead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another link you may look at........

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh man, that sucks. I know I was talking to Steven at @TopShelfAquatics about treating brown jelly disease and they had experienced solid success. I'm trying to remember what they were using. Maybe they can weigh in and help.

We have been having great success doing Potassium Chloride dips to treat the brown jelly.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to read this!! That is one beauty of a coral! Hopefully some of the treatments posted here will work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can turn this around into a happy day!!

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't give up on it yet if you can get a hold of antibiotics. I had a torch coral that started sloughing tissue and recessing badly (to the point the skeleton under the head was exposed). I treated it with cipro in a QT tank and the tissue recession stopped. it now is only attached to part of the skeleton (about half), but has looked great for a month now and has regrown tissue.

Also have a hammer coral that lost most of a head and is now regrowing three baby heads on the tissue that survived. Good luck!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! The torch went through some dips and is now in Quarantine. To be quite honest, it’d take a miracle for it to actually survive. But, this torch coral has been through about every possible problem in the past, so anything seems possible.
154C669C-864B-4F40-859B-85F2D5020925.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I choose to treat the DT with cipro, should I remove my clowns, pistol shrimp, and other critters? Or is it generally safe to treat the tank without doing too much?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated bjd with some success, but I really cannot remember how. I know, dumb. I did it in a rush like over 10 years ago with antibiotics and such I had on hand. It saved some of the corals, not all. I hope it bounces back. Nice piece.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro worked well when I used an in tank treatment.

Dipping method I use I got from a friend on FB. Many have success with iodine and chemiclean mixed together also. Dip regimen as follows though.

BJD/ Tissue Recsn

Brown Jelly and tissue recession

•You will need 3 separate containers for mixing ingredients. Another 1 or 2 for rinsing the coral off when moving to next dip.

** Do Not Combine the ingredients**

1. Mix 2 cups of tank water with 1 capful of witch hazel, you can sub hydrogen peroxide if necessary. Swirl it around, and/or use something to gently blow off the “jelly”. Dip for 15 minutes

2. Mix 2 cups of tank water with 1/2 of a packet of furan 2. Swirl the coral in the dip, or use baster as done with the Witch Hazel for 15 minutes

3. Mix 2 cups of tank water with iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Swirl/baster for 15 minutes.

•I use Lugols Iodine with 2-2.5 drops from the included dropper.

4. Swirl the coral in another container with only tank water. Place the coral back into the tank in low light for a day or two.

••Again, do not mix any of the dip ingredients together in any of the containers.

••If needed, it will be fine to perform this on back to back days.

I didn’t not come up with the treatment regimen myself and I’m unsure of the original person(s) that did. However I have used it several times to save euphyllia with great success

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back