A Sheet of GSP

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 75g tank and my large rock of GSP has grown to cover about 1/3 of the back glass. Its hit the top of the water and I assume it will cover the entire back if I let it go. While it would look cool, idk if I want the whole back glass in GSP. I was thinking of trying to get it off in one sheet and trading it. Or selling. Anyone had any luck with this?

randy954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 75g tank and my large rock of GSP has grown to cover about 1/3 of the back glass. Its hit the top of the water and I assume it will cover the entire back if I let it go. While it would look cool, idk if I want the whole back glass in GSP. I was thinking of trying to get it off in one sheet and trading it. Or selling. Anyone had any luck with this?
I,ll buy it from you?

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I,ll buy it from you?
Where are you located? I've never shipped coral, even this GSP is pretty hardy. It's about 12" long and 8" wide. If it reattached easily, it'll cover a good size rock.

randy954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in south Florida it can be shipped in moist newspaper and be fine. Can you take a picture?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying that I wouldn't suggest shipping GSP in moist newspaper. Granted, it's very hardy and you can ship live rock in wet newspaper with minimal die off, however I used to ship tons of GSP and even then I was getting some DOAs when I reduced the amount of water in the bag.

Use a razorblade to cut it in strips off the back wall. It will likely tear in places- that's normal and can't really be avoided, but try and go slow. Use plenty of fresh razor blades to do larger jobs.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, here's some reading about how to ship corals if you've never done it before:

randy954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be totally wrong!
I read that a major coral supplier shipped GSP this way.
I have a 180 gallon reef tank that I'd like to cover the back glass with GSP if anyone else would like to share?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would be interested depending on price

randy954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six or seven years ago in my old setup I had so much and I couldn't give it away.
Now everyone wants it again.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the same situation as yours but I’m going to keep. It’s grown on the coralline which makes it very difficult to come off cleanly.

I find they add an element of depth to longer tanks and, “under moonlight”, they look absolutely amazing.
On the biological side, they are great consumers of nutrients in a large pad.

Not worth much at retail, maybe 5 bucks a plug if they have nice color contrast, in one piece, say 50?
Stuff is cheap, grows like grass, some think it’s invasive.

Last edited:

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six or seven years ago in my old setup I had so much and I couldn't give it away.
Now everyone wants it again.
I just did this a couple of weeks ago. Cut a big piece off the glass and ended up giving it to the LFS because I couldn't get rid of it otherwise (I blame COVID). I think they cut it into smaller pieces and glued to frag plugs to sell it...

randy954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed that!!
Anyone else looking to re-home a large piece of GSP?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an example
E2770AD1-D7FC-4583-B2B4-C4513C40C4F9.jpeg

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS will trade. I got rid of most of my GSP for other frags. I keep a small rock island covered in it now and it's growing on my overflow. Scrape / cut pieces with a blade and use a loose rubber band to hold it to a small rock ( I don't glue gsp). It will spread to any surface you place it next to.

For harvesting, I plan to use a hand held scraper to keep it in check on the back. I assume that some of it will live.

gsp2.jpg

Back