A small FYI/warning about SpectraPure filters

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have owned a spectrapure for awhile for my tank. Last summer I had finally exhausted my 3rd round of dual membrane filters. And so I bought all new filters because it had been awhile. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The total bill for replacing all of them was about $250 (dual RO, dual DI, replaced prefilters etc).

5 months later they were exhausted. Something that does not happen that quickly for me. Chicago has really good water too. My tap water TDS is going into the filter at 95 TDS. These things should have lasted awhile.

So I bought replacement filters (another $200) and submitted an RMA. Unfortunately, my RMA was declined. Most of Spectrapure filters come with no warranty whatsoever. I was a little shocked by this. I don't know of ANY other product that'll do that to you if it goes bad within 5 months. I can even return used oranges to the grocery store if they're sour. But spectrapure only has a warranty on a select few of their membranes. You have to make sure to buy the "Specraselect" membranes. Even though all the membranes on their website are Spectrapure brand membranes.

So, I just want everyone to know. If you want a warranty on $200 worth of filters to last more than 5 months. Make sure to buy the membranes that are twice the price.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO membranes failed? That’s unusual. Mine typically last 18-24 months.

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I first thought too. I’ve had this same unit awhile and bought the same filters from the same place. And the previous few times, they lasted a few years.

And I always figured if they lasted less than at least a year. It would have some kind of warranty. Because I’ve never met a product that was brand new and didn’t have at least a year of coverage.

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I own the 180 gpd. These things are crapola!!! I live in nyc tds here is about 35-38. My membranes don’t last to long either. I only have a 60 cube. A 5 gallon wc a week means my filters should last a long time right ? Wrong !!

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I thought it was extremely weird too. Given that Chicago water is pretty dang good TDS wise. When I lived in Peoria the TDS was 350 or so. Very high.

It’s so weird because I’ve bought the same brand filters a few times and every time they lasted around 3-4 years.

Anyway my point is, I’ve never run into a product with no warranty before. I mean sure if you buy a pack of organic free range oranges, the grocery store isn’t gonna guarantee them for a year.

But if I buy a Brita filter and it dies in 2 days. They’re gonna replace it.

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your water company switched from adding chlorine to chloramines instead your carbon prefilter isn't removing all of it and that's what's killing the membrane so quick. You'll need a special carbon filter to remove the chloramines. You'll have to contact the water company.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted

Last edited:

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine, I do flush before and after every use, and I replace carbon about every 5 months. My apt building was built 1925 so I believe it has something to do with old copper pipes leeching a bunch of random stuff into my system.

Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted

Last edited:

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a 5th floor apt building so my psi is about 30-35. I am tapping off my cold water so I’m assuming 40degrees give or take

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted

Last edited:

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest running one membrane at a time ? And store the other one away for future use ? Tds reads 38-1-0

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back