View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys
it's me again
sorry to take your time I had a question
I wanted is there any way that helps me to control coral growth
because I have green fuzzy mushroom and polyps and they grow like crazy too much and I need a solution for this
my tank is not in the level of breeding corals but I scared of the time that they become too much cause I like corals a lot and want to buy more
my tank :
temp:27 it's between 26.5 and 28
no3:2.5
po4:0.0
kh:14.1 but it came down after my last siphon I need to check it
ph:8.0
no2:0
salinity 26or 27
and it's a 12 gal I know it can be a little small its nano
I have 7 clownfish
and my no3 is down because I use bacteria feeder 2 mil a day

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyps and mushrooms both thrive in nutrient rich water. Stop feeding them and they'll slow way down. They'll do just fine with no supplemental feeding at all, especially in such a small tank.

And I hope you are joking about the clowns. That in and of itself is a disaster waiting to happen (and it surely will). Their waste is also one of the primary sources of the nutrients that are feeding your corals.

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello
I know have lots of fish it's a tribble idea I have done.
luckily one of them I have for 2 years but all 6 of them I bought when they were juveniles. I just wanted to test my idea if I can pair them 4 months ago now they had a little fight but all of them survived but I will sell them for a more expensive price. when my biggest clown found its own pair and till they were fighting for territories.
the bacteria feeder saved my life my no3 was 100;Smuggrin and my po4 was 25
but as time goes on I will sell them and maybe buy a mandarin and a blenny.
thanks for your feedback and sorry for my bad English.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 27° celsius? If so that's quite warm, especially if your swing goes above that. Maybe cooler temperatures would slow down the metabolism somewhat.

Assuming your thermometer is accurate of course.
Agreed, I have always kept my 90g at a steady 80-81 , which my softies seem to thrive at in terms of growth. Dump that temp down gradually to 77-78? 7 clowns??? My word lol....I can definitely see the waste nutrients aiding in the growth....

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid a mandarin in that tank size unless you intend on having a copepod farm as well and dose copepods. Theyre difficult to get them to eat prepared foods. Mine eats both copepods and frozen but I had to train mine to eat prepared foods.

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid a mandarin in that tank size unless you intend on having a copepod farm as well and dose copepods. Theyre difficult to get them to eat prepared foods. Mine eats both copepods and frozen but I had to train mine to eat prepared foods.
I had one died after 5 months because I wasn't home for about a month and no one uses copepods in my tank
but I found one in my lfs that ate pellets it was amazing and i thought of one that time

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one died after 5 months because I wasn't home for about a month and no one uses copepods in my tank
but I found one in my lfs that ate pellets it was amazing and i thought of one that time
Yeah your mandarin will wipe out your pod population in a tank that size very quickly. If you had like 100 gallon tank, you could never feed that mandarin with an established pod population and it will live for years.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Position reef systems makes a copeod growing kit if you're dead set on having a Mandarin. In one container you grow phyto and you use that to feed the pods in the other container then harvest about once a week. But just keep in mind extended trips with a tank as small as yours wont go well as your mandarin will 100% destroy the pods quickly. If you have an auto feeder and you get it trained into eating prepped foods you can extend your trips.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the many clowns causing the coral growth. Did you have a pair breed or something? You may want to either lose some clowns or upgrade the tank size. The issue for coral growth I think stems from the clowns. Especially seeings its mainly mushrooms, which benefit off of the waste of fish. As for polyps, the high nitrates and phosphates are ideal for them, so really the best advice I can give is more water changes to reduce those nutrients. Otherwise, just frag or isolate them.

Edit: Sorry I just read you bought the six clowns. Honestly, kudos to you for keeping that many and keeping up with aggression and bioload! Just don't mess up with water changes! ;)

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the many clowns causing the coral growth. Did you have a pair breed or something? You may want to either lose some clowns or upgrade the tank size. The issue for coral growth I think stems from the clowns. Especially seeings its mainly mushrooms, which benefit off of the waste of fish. As for polyps, the high nitrates and phosphates are ideal for them, so really the best advice I can give is more water changes to reduce those nutrients. Otherwise, just frag or isolate them.

Edit: Sorry I just read you bought the six clowns. Honestly, kudos to you for keeping that many and keeping up with aggression and bioload! Just don't mess up with water changes! ;)
I hear the aggression is actually less intense the more clowns there are (assuming they have a spot they can call home). BRS has a RBTA tank with an insane amount of clowns in it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear the aggression is actually less intense the more clowns there are (assuming they have a spot they can call home). BRS has a RBTA tank with an insane amount of clowns in it.
That makes sense actually, with the aggression dispersed. However, I wonder if the natural hierarchy that they create would happen in such a small tank....

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense actually, with the aggression dispersed. However, I wonder if the natural hierarchy that they create would happen in such a small tank....
I don't think it'll work as well in such a small tank. In their tank they all have a place they can hide or call home. Probably not a lot of real estate for 7 clowns in a 12gal.

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe adding more clowns can lower the aggression;Joyful
but really I don't buy anymore
I will sell them in the near future for a reasonable amount of price
or maybe add 3 anemones
I have an aurora anemone and a bts
but for the nutrients, I should do a water change every week or 2
fragging is another way that you told me but I think with the fuzzy mushroom growing I don't know how much to sell
another way that I'm trying is to put polyps and green fuzzy mushroom on the surface it can be a good way but they will be growing on the sand bed its the best way for fragging the fuzzy mushroom but personally, I have not seen polyp grow on sand so it can be a good solution

Back