A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

Have you ever kept feather dusters?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 94 38.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like feather dusters. I had one in my last tank, but for some odd reason, he didn't last long (few months). I never bought another and didn't look into "why" it died. But this time around, I'd like to get another, I will double check all requirements before doing so.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like feather dusters. I had one in my last tank, but for some odd reason, he didn't last long (few months). I never bought another and didn't look into "why" it died. But this time around, I'd like to get another, I will double check all requirements before doing so.
We're you feeding any particulate matter like coral food or phyto?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i've had regular feather dusters, as well as coco worms previously. both jumped ship(left their tubes) during the night and were taken care of the CUC by morning. now i have lots of very small feather dusters(that basically are identical to the coco worm, just significantly smaller)

would love to try my hand at keeping some bigger sized ones again.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the standard little ones that come with live rock and such. And I bought one (purple) Problem was that in my main tank there was a tang and a clown that thought it was a snack or something :rolleyes: Moved it to the sump and today put in a cube that I'm starting. Hopefully the fish that will live in there will leave it alone...

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchers
IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like feather dusters. My mom called them "THE TREES" then was super disturbed when I told her they were worms lol. I had 3 of them in my tank at one point, but found out too late that my pink pincushion urchins found them delicious. RIP trees.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hitchhiker come in on a rock that housed a shroom I bought! To bad its not pretty and bright!

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my feather dusters since I was cycling my tank. There were originally 4 feather dusters at the beginning. But now, I see a few more popping up. I have a few whites, reds and one that is a darker red and white.

pearlofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

Whether the feather dusters showed up in your reef aquarium as hitchhikers or through intentional introduction, they add something unique and even magical to an aquarium setting. Feather dusters come in a range of colors and patterns and their movement as they filter the water for food is enjoyable to watch. Good water quality, stability of the water parameters, and a slow transition can all help with maintaining the health of these creatures as well as maintaining them in areas of moderate light and flow. Additionally, protection and gentle treatment of their tubes is also important. Because they tend to stay retracted when the conditions are less-than-optimal, they can also be effective indicators for the observant reef keeper to identify potential issues. What about your tank – have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium? Please tell us about your experience in the related discussion and we’d love to see pictures of your feather dusters!

ExclusiveCorals_FeatherDuster.jpeg

Photo by @Exclusive Corals

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
I have 2, I find them fascinating and pretty.

Attachments

• IMG_9092.jpeg
    IMG_9092.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 14

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my feather duster! I picked it up from a local LFS. This one is super hardy - has been drug around the tank more times than I can count by my urchins. I would love to pick up another one when I have the chance.

IMG_6896.jpg

John Biddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a common brown and white feather duster and a purple and yellow coco worm in my 20G and I like them both. The coco worm doesn't seem to like where I put him, though why he would like laying on the bottom where he winds up mystifies me.

Many decades ago in my first foray into saltwater I had a number of christmas tree worms (10 or 12) in several live rocks. One night they simultaneously spawned, filling my 55G tank with many hundreds of eggs and enough sperm to make the water milky enough so I couldn't see all the way through the tank (and I had halides). I wouldn't know today how to possibly raise those fertilized eggs but in the early '80s I really had no idea anyone could do it, certainly not me. Anyone know if it can be done?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back