AAces Peninsula Reef - 412 gallon 84" x 42" x 27"

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family and I are beginning the journey to build a 412 gallon peninsula style reef aquarium. We will be renovating part of our finished basement to do so and installing my dream tank. We are currently in the planning stage as I have met with one contractor and plan to meet 3 more over the next couple weeks. I am also actively requesting quotes from several custom tank builders: Custom Aquariums, Exotic Aquariums, Miracles Aquariums and Reef Savvy. Progress will be slow, especially in the beginning, but my goal is to have the equipment well organized and much of the maintenance process automated. I currently have a google doc notebook from years of reading and research, though some of it is dated as of this time. I will also be utilizing equipment I have never used before with my previous 29 Biocube. I will be seeking loads of advice and guidance from the many skilled aquarists on this site. I will try to keep everyone posted on the happenings, even before we have any actual tank in place.

We traveled to Kalamazoo over the weekend to get some quality dry Fiji reef rock. I just don't think the reef saver and man made stuff has the same character or authenticity. Anyway, I've been playing with some aquascape ideas and chiseled out some larger holes for caves. We've got a ways to go before any of this will see water but couldn't hold back the excitement.

911AAD4C-4625-4EDE-9D47-379D951B0EE6.jpeg
B8F3CDF4-C841-40CD-A56F-DA59BEEF5691.jpeg
54A8BBAC-A670-4B50-A65E-BB2F38B3E181.jpeg
B7685274-7B92-44F9-80EA-0B56E01CF3F9.jpeg
CC6D71B2-3123-4143-9F70-1B8C173F0F32.jpeg
D9CB9893-D58B-4132-8538-3A6D406E44CF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Combs1ng

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have one more contractor coming this week and hopefully I'll have enough proposals to choose from. I will have met with four contractors at that point and have only received one proposal so far.

Tank biotope & Build - I have the following info. in a thread over on the general discussion forum but wanted to put it on here as well. I have no expereince with seagrass biotopes and limited coral experience. I am increasingly finding out how difficult it may be to keep seagrasses, especially with corals (specifically SPS), but it has not discouraged me from attempting it thus far - Let's hope by the end of my researching I can keep the same level of willingness and enthusiasm. To be honest, the fact that there are so few out there makes me want to do it even more...

Ever since I saw a seagrass setup in an LFS years ago, I have always thought of setting one up. I am currently planning a large build and recently started a tank build thread. I am 95% settled on a biotope - an Indo-Pacific Bommie Reef surrounded by a seagrass bed. It will consist of a 412gallon peninsula style tank (or there abouts) with a vertical reef wall along the back sloping to a 3-6" sand bed(not determined yet) and a bommie reef-rock "island". For corals: predominately Pocillopora, Favia, Platygyra, Astreopora, a few Monti and Acropora a centerstage Sarcophyton or Lobophytum a few Zoas and maybe an Elegance amongst the seagrass. There will really be two focal points within the aquarium, the bommie reef island and the "Rest". I want this biotope to be a mini seagrass ecosystem revolving around the collective whole and not just the corals or fish. In actuality my plan is to have relatively few fish for this size system. Currently I have planned to house 25-30 fish (mostly small and consisting of fish from various regions such as the Indo-Pacific and Red Sea). I am thinking some striking contrasts such as: a small shoal of Yellow-tail Damsels (love their beauty) with a couple Yellow Coris wrasses; several orchid dottybacks and a neon dottyback or two; a radiant wrasse; possibly a Potters or Flame Angel, maybe a shoal of chromis and blennies/gobies; some other damsels such as Dascyllus Reticulatus; and a couple tangs: Blonde Naso, Gem and perhaps another. But I want just as much focus and interest on the few sea stars, several types of crabs (porcelain living amongst the Pocillopora), shrimp, urchins, conch and other invertebrates. Not only will these creatures provide additional interest in the large negatively spaced sand bed areas, but they should help to keep nutrients and algae in check for the corals. I will be aiming largely for a naturalistic approach with hopefully minimal mechanical filtration and a large refugium and possibly multiple refugiums and even a surge tank (I have a lot rolling around upstairs right now). Anyway, here are some pictures of inspiration:

zCoralRock_SeagrassSurrouning1.jpg zCoralRock_SeagrassSurrouning2.jpg zCoralRock_SeagrassSurrouning3.jpg zCoralRock_SeagrassSurrouning4.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back