Aaron’s 180 gallon

My Walt Disney Dec 26, 2019 and April 3, 2020

36B43F1F-D5DD-4889-A808-5F4AB7897CE2.jpeg 997F15BF-7CF3-4340-A21E-27018F05FE9B.jpeg
 
So I am thinking of replacing my Neptune wav's with Gyre XF350's. I already have the Gyres so would just put as simple as swapping.
The reason I started with the Wav's was because I had the two 350's installed in my old tank.

I also wanted to try the Hyrdos Wavengine and was going to pull the trigger until I found out it does not have compatibility with any battery backup at the moment which seems like a huge over site. I already have a Icecap battery backup so wanted to use that and have the control with the wav engine.
 
So I updated my lighting, I removed one of my XR30 G4 Pros and added 3 G5 XR15 Blues, I run the G4’s on a sepetate schedule than the G5s and have them set at all UV, Blue, and Red. Then I run the G5s on a slightly modified AB+.
I then added a Orphek OR3 at a slight angle towards the front of the tank to try and hit some of the shading that is viewable from the front.
849E02C5-AE11-415C-8082-2203707875E0.jpeg
 
I also changed my powerheads around, Originally I started with 2 Mp40s 2 Neptune wavs and then added 2 Gyre XF350s.
Since the tank is bare bottom I can have allot of flow but I am very picky about clean power heads and you just cant beat the MP40s for maintenance. I ultimately ended up with 4 Mp40s mounted 2 on each side.
I purchased 2 extra wet sides and swap them out every 2 weeks.
CAC8844C-0AB9-41EA-A6AB-1D9CDF916234.jpeg
 
I picked up 2 of the new Kamoer X1 pro 2s to start dosing the Easy Reefs SPS food and the original.

F4B9A1DB-96B2-429D-A123-F567B329F543.jpeg 0A41702B-97F2-4C78-90A5-4DAD18D8FC9A.jpeg
 
Originally I had planned to use Ecotech Versas to dose the Easy Reefs food but I could not wait any longer.
 
Last edited:
I need to get more remag, my mag keeps dropping even though I have a 2.2lbs bag in my ca reactor already. Anyone know the melting point of remag or have a better alternative?
I run my CaRx at 6.9ph but maybe thats not low enough for the remag?
 
Well I wanted to send out a warning that not all Salinity calibration fluids are not created equal.
I got a hanna salinity checker a couple years ago and wanted to try it out so I calibrated it and checked my tanks salinity that I keep at 1.026 or 35 ppt. I was suprised that the hand held read 33 ppt. I ran the calibration again and found the same 33 ppt.
So I checked my refractometer calibration and it was reading 35 ppt and checking the tank water also read 35ppt.
This is no good because now depending on who is right I am either low or good so I went to Amazon for the tie breaker and ordered brightwells salinity calibration fluid and after calibration read my tank at 1.028!
I then ordered a different brand calibration fluid AND a Tropic Marine Hydrometer.
After getting all these in the new fluid agreed with the BRS fluid and the Hydrometer also read 1.026.
I took a sample into my local lfs and they also got 35ppt.
I’ll give Hanna a break since the calibration fluid was at least 2 years old but not sure what happened with the Brightwell Aquatics fluid.


449E7062-9A49-45CA-995F-0CABCDBFC51D.jpeg
AF65CCBC-A263-4E8E-9FF0-EB8C85DAD60D.jpeg
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new