Aaron's 1,000+ gallon reef build

Thanks guys. It was indeed a lucky and rather odd find. The guy that owns the tanks had them all empty sitting on a major electric energy company plant site. He had nothing to do with the energy company but he had an abalone farm on their site. He had to get clearance to go on sight. The guard at the gate gave me strict rules to follow this guy and only go to the farm and only park at the tanks lol. The guy selling the tanks used water off their pipeline (the pipeline ran 300’ out in to the pacific) to recirculate the water for his massive abalone farm. The farm is no more though. That’s a different story why he stopped that. Even after talking to him about it I was still highly confused how he had his farm on their site. Either way , lucky me.
 
Been working on the sump today. Hopefully I’ll have it up and running tomorrow. Pictures to follow in the AM.

c91243e11a39d89dc8ca25efdeb9a962.jpg
 
What are your plans for the tank when you and the fam go out of town or go on vacation??
Lol I wonder if his plans are to go on vacation in the tank.. :) Good point however how are you going to handle water changes? Does having a bigger tank make it so you don't have to do it as often?
 
Lol I wonder if his plans are to go on vacation in the tank.. :) Good point however how are you going to handle water changes? Does having a bigger tank make it so you don't have to do it as often?

For the last decade I’ve had a career where I’m gone a week at time. I’ve learned how to have a successful reef even though I leave for 7 days at a time. I set my system up in a way where all that needs to be done is feedings while I’m gone. Also, The Apex allows me to shut things off if something goes wrong.

Water changes will be 275 monthly.

Here’s the sump so far.
e9116b20a1b9e16ac534aecc839929e3.jpg

9fe8eb547ff6f8c5289782c5058c182e.jpg

0b22f07f18ee54c5dab553b26c2353f1.jpg
 
WOW!! Just wow. Can’t wait to see everything up and running. Makes my 40 breeder look like your systems QT :p
 
Got some mounts for the controllers. No more Velcro that doesn’t hold.
3e4247cdde95e6457c6ad57c0b30a055.jpg

This is the second test run of the supports for the tops. This test run is with 1 3/8” closet rods. I painted them white with water resistant deck paint. They are working well except for the middle one. It says too much and is in the water. I will replace the middle one with a
1 3/8” iron rod.
786d48bf90d96dabae1a620b2a847a42.jpg

I’m using acrylic sheets as my tops. Got them from a local vendor for a good price. They don’t full fit (front to back they cover 90-95%) but for the price I couldn’t pass them up.
64b0db00f451e57c0fd5dd9e1e3cf482.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new