Aaron's 1,000+ gallon reef build

Deftones2015

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many people post about their fails. Well I told my wife that I built this sump half *** so if there’s gonna be a leak in my build it’ll be the sump. Well the sump leaked and I decided I should just got with plan A. Plan A from the beginning was to buy a tank that’s designed to hold water lol. So back to plan A. I ripped my sump out and now searching for plan A.
QUOTE]

Better to find out now than when the tanks running and stocked. Know what size you're going with? When I do a larger tank I plan on using the Rubbermaid stock tanks.

OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaks will happen, good to catch them early. That's why I tore out all my hardwood and replaced it with tile.

How much water did you lose?

125 gallons.

Glad it happened now. Very happy about this problem. Much rather it be now then later. I should have done it like the display. Right the first time.

OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops.. :( Not enough sealant on the bottom corners of your sump?

I went to do a “fail safe test”. I basically simulated a power failure. Then I watched the sump fill up while the last of the display tank water overflow to it. Everything worked out fine except the extra pressure at the bottom of the sump. It caused the silicone to give away. It was poorly constructed. 100% my fault while building it.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting cause I thought the plywood would really be sealed by the pond armor not silicone. Maybe ultimately didn't have thick enough plywood to keep the joint together under the load. Anyways.. I was just curious what happened.

OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting cause I thought the plywood would really be sealed by the pond armor not silicone. Maybe ultimately didn't have thick enough plywood to keep the joint together under the load. Anyways.. I was just curious what happened.

Yes the pond armor would have held if I used fiberglass with it like I did on the display tank. All I did was coat the wood then used silicone for all the seams

OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked out a deal with an old abalone farmer for this tank. It’s 103” long by 31” wide and 18” tall. Roughly 250gallons. I cut off the bottom 2” drain pipe and patched it. Then I used some left over garage epoxy and coated the outside to match my work bench and floor. Still have to install braces and baffles but that’ll happen next week sometime.

f7e2021a3a5a71c7bf8367784cd5d542.jpg

Testing the fit and look. Fiberglass sucks. It got everywhere. Couldn’t wait to coat the outside.
7d9ccd7d37ec935a376980dd895f9f96.jpg

Coated the outside with epoxy. This will also ensure no leaks even though I already leak checked it.
fdcfd2a22b3712bc88833fa286f9454b.jpg

992c887ac42f181c2788261394d30b81.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back