Aaron's 1,000+ gallon reef build

Not many people post about their fails. Well I told my wife that I built this sump half butt so if there’s gonna be a leak in my build it’ll be the sump. Well the sump leaked and I decided I should just got with plan A. Plan A from the beginning was to buy a tank that’s designed to hold water lol. So back to plan A. I ripped my sump out and now searching for plan A.


6222c2fb54685e51aa62603efc3affa6.jpg

eb2348492f19d6666537140e034140b5.jpg

1b3e7c5e3ed25f76a36f2239f7436938.jpg

292fe6bcbd07adbc679dc42c07379e24.jpg

4c3a49d70072296f3efa78f8b013d855.jpg
 
Not many people post about their fails. Well I told my wife that I built this sump half *** so if there’s gonna be a leak in my build it’ll be the sump. Well the sump leaked and I decided I should just got with plan A. Plan A from the beginning was to buy a tank that’s designed to hold water lol. So back to plan A. I ripped my sump out and now searching for plan A.


6222c2fb54685e51aa62603efc3affa6.jpg

eb2348492f19d6666537140e034140b5.jpg

1b3e7c5e3ed25f76a36f2239f7436938.jpg

292fe6bcbd07adbc679dc42c07379e24.jpg

4c3a49d70072296f3efa78f8b013d855.jpg

Well that sucks but glad you caught it early.
 
Not many people post about their fails. Well I told my wife that I built this sump half *** so if there’s gonna be a leak in my build it’ll be the sump. Well the sump leaked and I decided I should just got with plan A. Plan A from the beginning was to buy a tank that’s designed to hold water lol. So back to plan A. I ripped my sump out and now searching for plan A.
QUOTE]

Better to find out now than when the tanks running and stocked. Know what size you're going with? When I do a larger tank I plan on using the Rubbermaid stock tanks.
 
Leaks will happen, good to catch them early. That's why I tore out all my hardwood and replaced it with tile.

How much water did you lose?

125 gallons.

Glad it happened now. Very happy about this problem. Much rather it be now then later. I should have done it like the display. Right the first time.
 
oops.. :( Not enough sealant on the bottom corners of your sump?

I went to do a “fail safe test”. I basically simulated a power failure. Then I watched the sump fill up while the last of the display tank water overflow to it. Everything worked out fine except the extra pressure at the bottom of the sump. It caused the silicone to give away. It was poorly constructed. 100% my fault while building it.
 
Hmm. Interesting cause I thought the plywood would really be sealed by the pond armor not silicone. Maybe ultimately didn't have thick enough plywood to keep the joint together under the load. Anyways.. I was just curious what happened.
 
Hmm. Interesting cause I thought the plywood would really be sealed by the pond armor not silicone. Maybe ultimately didn't have thick enough plywood to keep the joint together under the load. Anyways.. I was just curious what happened.

Yes the pond armor would have held if I used fiberglass with it like I did on the display tank. All I did was coat the wood then used silicone for all the seams
 
Worked out a deal with an old abalone farmer for this tank. It’s 103” long by 31” wide and 18” tall. Roughly 250gallons. I cut off the bottom 2” drain pipe and patched it. Then I used some left over garage epoxy and coated the outside to match my work bench and floor. Still have to install braces and baffles but that’ll happen next week sometime.

f7e2021a3a5a71c7bf8367784cd5d542.jpg

Testing the fit and look. Fiberglass sucks. It got everywhere. Couldn’t wait to coat the outside.
7d9ccd7d37ec935a376980dd895f9f96.jpg

Coated the outside with epoxy. This will also ensure no leaks even though I already leak checked it.
fdcfd2a22b3712bc88833fa286f9454b.jpg

992c887ac42f181c2788261394d30b81.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new