Aaron's 1,000+ gallon reef build

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I've finally decided to do a build thread. I typically stay behind the scenes on forums. I rarely post or comment, but i'm trying to get better at that. I'm currently building a 1,000 gallon reef with the option to expand and i'll do my best to share it with you all here.

Background:
I live in Ventura, Ca and been in the hobby since 2004. My job had transferred me and my family to Houston, Texas at the end of 2016. My wife said, "If you get us back home in Ventura you can have whatever tank you dream up". She is now regretting saying those words. Well we moved back February 2018. We bought a fixer upper house which is the reason my build has been taking me so long. I have too many projects and i'm spread too thin, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Location of the Tank:
This reef is being built in my garage. I can't fit either mine or my wife's vehicle in any standard size garage. So, my garages have always been my man cave. Another reason I wanted my reef in my garage is because I had a clean slate to work with. Well the garage was in no way clean when I started, but building it the way I want has been and is tons of fun. It also gave me the opportunity to build the garage around the need of my reef.

Here is my progress so far. I hope you enjoy. I'm gonna start from the beginning, from when we moved in.

If anyone knows of a better place to upload my pictures than photobucket please tell me. its been a long time since i've done this.

Here's the garage when I bought it. Linoleum floors and at one point there appears to have been carpet in there. Wood paneling on the back wall. Some strange closets. Old windows and the electrical was a mess.

I began with stripping the floors

I removed the closets and continued on the floor

After days of prepping the floors I laid down epoxy.

Next step was upgrading the electrical on the house and running a sub panel to my garage. 50amp

Then I stripped off the drywall and installed all new electrical.

This back wall was a mess with its electrical. This was a before shot. I don't have an after.

Installed new MMR drywall and a TON of outlets! You can never have too many outlets.

My oldest daughter loves helping me. We painted the walls and ceiling.

A before and after of the laundry room in the garage

Last edited:
OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step was to build my work bench.

My other helper (youngest daughter) and her strange backpack

She had to make sure every cut was straight and everything was level.

I had a lot of left over epoxy so I decided to use it on my work bench. It turned out awesome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big helper at lowe's. With much thought, I decided to over engineer the frame. I went with 4" x 6" x 10'

I laid out the wood and cut it to my liking several times before I was happy.

I anchored the bottom 4x6 to the floor. I used all thread through all of the 4x6s to give it the strength I want.

Overall inside dimensions are 90.5"L X 94"W X 31"H. big window in the front is 70" wide by 20" tall. Smaller window is 48" wide by 18" high

I then lined the inside with plywood and cut out the windows

OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next I replaced the two garage windows with milgard windows.

Caught my daughter and her friend playing legos in my tank lol. Thought this was a cool picture to have.

This morning I cemented the inside perimeter to make the walls flush with the floor. This will allow me to better waterproof it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your plan for temperature control? Control the whole garage or just the tank itself?

The garage is now extremely well insulated with the new drywall and windows. The floor epoxy also helped with that. For heating the tank I will be using my home water heater. for cooling my tank, well thats what I love about Ventura. I'll just open the windows and or garage door. We barely ever see above 80 degree temps and almost never go below 40 in the winter. Average year round temp is probably 67 degree here.

OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I see you have boxers! We have boxers! 6 month old Milo (boy) and 7 week old Remi (girl) Love boxers!

Boxers are the best! They go everywhere with me. The fawn is Khaleesi 3.5yrs old and the black one is Kane just over 1yrs old. All the employees at Lowe's know them well as they make nearly every lowes trip with me.

Sandbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boxers are the best! They go everywhere with me. The fawn is Khaleesi 3.5yrs old and the black one is Kane just over 1yrs old. All the employees at Lowe's know them well as they make nearly every lowes trip with me.

We have a black boxer named Kaine!
AEBAABB8-A0D9-473E-933F-BD386B4C8AAE.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back