ABI Par38 Comparison

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all reefers. I am looking to put a Par38 over my Nuvo 10. I am looking at the ABI bulbs on Amazon. Does anyone have any real world experience with these bulbs? If so, which one would you recommend between the two below. I plan to do some LPS and maybe 1 SPS. Not many. I want to avoid dosing in this tank.

For those asking yourself, "Why a Par38?".... I am trying to keep this low budget. I have an adjustable light fixture already. And, $35 for a light is in my budget.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and thoughts.

ABI LED Aquarium Light Bulb, 23W Blue and White PAR38
LEDs: 6x 450-460nm, 5x 10000-15000K, 2x 460-470nm, 2x 425-430nmhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V64KC9/?coliid=I2T5XNPG6OH0NZ&colid=1T7IPEK3LDZVS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

ABI 23W Tuna Blue LED Bulb Coral Reef Optimized Spectrum 11-Band PAR38
LEDs: 1x 395-400nm, 1x 410-420nm, 2x 420-430nm, 1x 430-440nm, 2x 440-450nm, 2x 450-460nm, 2x 460-470nm, 1x 470-475nm, 1x 490-495nm, 1x 6500K, 1x cyan (phosphor based)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V5V5J...olid=1T7IPEK3LDZVS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Par 38 bulbs I have used were from RapidLED and they were not under $35. I use three with my traveling aquarium set up.

What are you keeping in the Nuvo? This can help decide if they will work okay for a while.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would like the tuna blue. People on NR think very highly of this bulb and I’ve seen some good growth on their threads!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been playing with the ATI tuna blue on a couple Nano’s over the last year or so and I’m not impressed, nothing I put under them seems to do very well.

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot...I got the other one. I guess I'll have 2 bulbs now. Going to order up the Tuna Blue today. Got the wife all excited for corals now. So maybe a pico tank for her with the Blue and White bulb.

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been playing with the ATI tuna blue on a couple Nano’s over the last year or so and I’m not impressed, nothing I put under them seems to do very well.

I read through your build thread. Love the setup. I am working on my "next" tank already. A budget 40Breeder as well. But, my budget is less than the 1k mark. I will keep watching yours though. Thank you.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be interested to see what the blue and white one you got looks like. The tuna blue one is BLUE. I liked it but I prefer more white balance. Mind posting a comparison pic when you have them both?

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all reefers. I am looking to put a Par38 over my Nuvo 10. I am looking at the ABI bulbs on Amazon. Does anyone have any real world experience with these bulbs? If so, which one would you recommend between the two below. I plan to do some LPS and maybe 1 SPS. Not many. I want to avoid dosing in this tank.

For those asking yourself, "Why a Par38?".... I am trying to keep this low budget. I have an adjustable light fixture already. And, $35 for a light is in my budget.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and thoughts.

ABI LED Aquarium Light Bulb, 23W Blue and White PAR38
LEDs: 6x 450-460nm, 5x 10000-15000K, 2x 460-470nm, 2x 425-430nmhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V64KC9/?coliid=I2T5XNPG6OH0NZ&colid=1T7IPEK3LDZVS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

ABI 23W Tuna Blue LED Bulb Coral Reef Optimized Spectrum 11-Band PAR38
LEDs: 1x 395-400nm, 1x 410-420nm, 2x 420-430nm, 1x 430-440nm, 2x 440-450nm, 2x 450-460nm, 2x 460-470nm, 1x 470-475nm, 1x 490-495nm, 1x 6500K, 1x cyan (phosphor based)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V5V5J...olid=1T7IPEK3LDZVS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I don't have any info on those exact bulbs or their diodes, but I have the AI Prime lighting over my Nuvo 10 tuned to a similar wattage and spectrum as that 23W Tuna Blue bulb and have been very happy with it. Keeping soft corals in the bottom half of the tank and stony in the top.

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be interested to see what the blue and white one you got looks like. The tuna blue one is BLUE. I liked it but I prefer more white balance. Mind posting a comparison pic when you have them both?

Of course. I've been wanting to do a build post for my Nuvo. I'll see about starting both build threads later this week.

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any info on those exact bulbs or their diodes, but I have the AI Prime lighting over my Nuvo 10 tuned to a similar wattage and spectrum as that 23W Tuna Blue bulb and have been very happy with it. Keeping soft corals in the bottom half of the tank and stony in the top.

I like what I have read about the Prime. It sounds funny, but I just don't like the plastic look of the prime I love the look of the Kessil stuff. But, I feel they are all over priced. Love the look of the NanoBox Tide M....again, the flexible like for the power wires is ugly. They could use a much smaller conduit and it would be gorgeous. I am trying to do this tank on a low budget...and $200 plus on a light is not realistic for me.

I'd love to see your tank and corals...Please!

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what I have read about the Prime. It sounds funny, but I just don't like the plastic look of the prime I love the look of the Kessil stuff. But, I feel they are all over priced. Love the look of the NanoBox Tide M....again, the flexible like for the power wires is ugly. They could use a much smaller conduit and it would be gorgeous. I am trying to do this tank on a low budget...and $200 plus on a light is not realistic for me.

I'd love to see your tank and corals...Please!

I know what you mean about the look of the Prime. I've often wished I could figure out some way to hide it. I've considered building some sort of floating shelf above the tank to do just that. At a minimum, I wish I had bought the black instead of white because it's less visible. Those NanoBox Tides are nice!

Here's my tank as of a couple days ago:
fts_1-16-19.jpg

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean about the look of the Prime. I've often wished I could figure out some way to hide it. I've considered building some sort of floating shelf above the tank to do just that. At a minimum, I wish I had bought the black instead of white because it's less visible. Those NanoBox Tides are nice!

fts_1-16-19.jpg

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stunning! How old???

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fts_1-16-19.jpg
Think I’ll print that pic out and tape it on my tank. Facing in. Maybe my tank just doesn’t know what it’s suposed to look like. It chose the hair algae riddled sad look instead of the super awesome happy coral look.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 165w cbb, an AI prime HD and an abi 14w tuna blue. Although the blue has some killer reviews and it will grow coral I find it hard on the eyes. My LFS has a pico jar under the blue wite version and she's been growing everything from sps to softies in there. I can't speak with a lot of experience in these lights other than my coral did like the abi tuna blue. I just didn't... .. One of those deals where if your in the room with it and leave, the next room in the house has an orange tint till your eyes adjust back. I ended up pulling the light and using an AI prime that I recieved as a gift. I'm thinking about buying the ABI blue / white but it doesn't have near the spectrum. Wish they had something in the middle. Anyone have experience with the blue white growing coral? Curious to see some additional info on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back