OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 165w cbb, an AI prime HD and an abi 14w tuna blue. Although the blue has some killer reviews and it will grow coral I find it hard on the eyes. My LFS has a pico jar under the blue wite version and she's been growing everything from sps to softies in there. I can't speak with a lot of experience in these lights other than my coral did like the abi tuna blue. I just didn't... .. One of those deals where if your in the room with it and leave, the next room in the house has an orange tint till your eyes adjust back. I ended up pulling the light and using an AI prime that I recieved as a gift. I'm thinking about buying the ABI blue / white but it doesn't have near the spectrum. Wish they had something in the middle. Anyone have experience with the blue white growing coral? Curious to see some additional info on it.

Thanks Aaron for the reply. I ended up buying both. I installed the blue/white one first. It was hard on my eyes. When I got the Tuna Blue, I found it was a little better for me. Not sure on growing corals with either as, I haven't gotten any yet. Just the rock and 2 clowns in there right now. I ended up returning the blue/white because when I went to put it in another fixture, the bottom of the base bent and it wouldn't work any more. The Tuna Blue has been running on a timer for the last week. I have it almost 4 ft off the tank on a photo light tripod to get the fish acclimated and eventually, the corals. Then I will move it down until it's good. I'll post some photos as time goes on.

Derek

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, .. .. Yeah that's the one downfall of the lights is that it doesn't have adjustable intensity. I did the same as you when I was using it. I am however, surprised the blue / white was worse that the tuna blue. I will definitely follow along with this thread to see how it works for you. I wish the blue / white had a bit more spectrum too it. I think I'll see if I can't talk my LFS into swapping bulbs for a few weeks to see if she sees a difference in the pico when switching to the tuna blue. I'm curious also to see how it makes the coral pop. I didn't have anything in that tank at the time I had the light in it. Good luck and please do update as you go along. Very interested in your results.

Aaron

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife now wants a pico with some corals...mainly zoas. So, I am thinking of doing 2 picos with the same corals and tank parameters. Then getting two 12 watt bulbs, one of each spectrum, and doing a comparison test over a few months. See how the different bulbs compare.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I don't offend anyone... but I used to get lots of questions with "I only want to keep one coral" somewhere in the message. That one coral doesn't know it's the only one in the tank and its requirements won't change. Granted, it is entirely possible to use a lighting source that provides adequate illumination in a small portion of the tank, but I think this may have ben overlooked by the questioner.

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a special fixture/holder for these bulbs or will a standard one do?

I always thought standard but I just read this on reefjar.com
"DISCLAIMER: You must use a lamp designed for housing a PAR38 Bulb to ensure it functions correctly and doesn’t cause a fire. Your warranty with ABI will be void if your bulb burns out because it was used improperly. I nor ABI will be responsible if your house burns down due to your improper usage of the bulb."

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using just a photography lighting tripod. Been working just fine for 6 months. I believe they want to make sure you don't use a fixture with a shroud that stops air flow. The bulb does get warm after 8 hours on.

Derek

Do you need a special fixture/holder for these bulbs or will a standard one do?

I always thought standard but I just read this on reefjar.com
"DISCLAIMER: You must use a lamp designed for housing a PAR38 Bulb to ensure it functions correctly and doesn’t cause a fire. Your warranty with ABI will be void if your bulb burns out because it was used improperly. I nor ABI will be responsible if your house burns down due to your improper usage of the bulb."

20190719_090445.jpg

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using just a photography lighting tripod. Been working just fine for 6 months. I believe they want to make sure you don't use a fixture with a shroud that stops air flow. The bulb does get warm after 8 hours on.

Derek

20190719_090445.jpg

Ah okay thanks, so anything without a shroud should be okay?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back