Aboit zoa propogation

  • Thread starter Thread starter efish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

efish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2022
Messages
226
Reaction score
72
Location
Somewhere
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a question about this zoa, when it starts growing onto the rock can I cut it off of the frag and let that single zoa grow on the rock? And will this cause any issues for the zoa/tank

20221105_115617.jpg
 
If it was me, I would wait until there are a few polyps on the rock just because a single polyp isn’t always as well anchored as you think. Otherwise, I would think you’d be fine.
 
Yep, that's pretty much how people do zoa propagation. I second the recommendation to wait until it's a few polyps that would be cut off, as that will be most likely to thrive and continue as normal. Do remember that some soft corals are toxic, and avoid using your bare hands to handle them.
 
If it was me, I would wait until there are a few polyps on the rock just because a single polyp isn’t always as well anchored as you think. Otherwise, I would think you’d be fine.
Yea I am gonna wait I just wanna know if I should add something when i cut them because of their toxins and if I should just cut them with a blade or pull the frag away
 
Pulling the frag plug is how I frag them except I do the reverse. I let them grow out and then glue some cut off frag plug stems to the rock to make a wall around them and just break it off and pull some Zoas up with it once they grow over it. I agree with the other comments. Let it grow out some because when you pull it, you might damage a few polyps around the edges of the plug.
 
Running activated charcoal for a bit won't hurt anything, and cutting between the polyps with an exacto knife or similar is probably a good way to do it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new