Aboit zoa propogation

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a question about this zoa, when it starts growing onto the rock can I cut it off of the frag and let that single zoa grow on the rock? And will this cause any issues for the zoa/tank

20221105_115617.jpg

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it was me, I would wait until there are a few polyps on the rock just because a single polyp isn’t always as well anchored as you think. Otherwise, I would think you’d be fine.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, that's pretty much how people do zoa propagation. I second the recommendation to wait until it's a few polyps that would be cut off, as that will be most likely to thrive and continue as normal. Do remember that some soft corals are toxic, and avoid using your bare hands to handle them.

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would wait until there are a few polyps on the rock just because a single polyp isn’t always as well anchored as you think. Otherwise, I would think you’d be fine.
Yea I am gonna wait I just wanna know if I should add something when i cut them because of their toxins and if I should just cut them with a blade or pull the frag away

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the frag plug is how I frag them except I do the reverse. I let them grow out and then glue some cut off frag plug stems to the rock to make a wall around them and just break it off and pull some Zoas up with it once they grow over it. I agree with the other comments. Let it grow out some because when you pull it, you might damage a few polyps around the edges of the plug.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Running activated charcoal for a bit won't hurt anything, and cutting between the polyps with an exacto knife or similar is probably a good way to do it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back