About Had IT With Corals

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zero nitrates for about 6 months
What test kit are you using? If you have API kit for nitrates, please get a different brand. Apparently, part of the ingredients settle and harden in the bottle if you don’t shake it up every few days. It will either give you a zero or a very high number. Mine read zero for a long time until I got a Salifert. My nitrates are really more like 10ppm and not zero.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ed3bc12a671615a9f6a0ed9031a65b54.jpg

This is what I set the lights to this morning. I used the los/sfcoral preset and adjusted to your suggestions Thanks

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? If you have API kit for nitrates, please get a different brand. Apparently, part of the ingredients settle and harden in the bottle if you don’t shake it up every few days. It will either give you a zero or a very high number. Mine read zero for a long time until I got a Salifert. My nitrates are really more like 10ppm and not zero.
thanks will do

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good lps would be a Duncan. Fast growth and easy to boot. I agree get those nitrates up to 10.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good lps would be a Duncan. Fast growth and easy to boot. I agree get those nitrates up to 10.

Thanks working on getting nitrates up. Ordered Red Sea A and B energy booster as amino acids etc.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c3db097db454aae55b2ff3c891140db2.jpg
ab These are the numbers you gave me and have them set to now. We ordered better refractor,tds meter, red sea pro test kit, red sea a and b energy it has the stuff you suggested. Thanks Dan
What schedule is that?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back at this thread, there has been a lot of information thrown around very quickly. I think there are questions that haven't been answered though.

You stated your parameters, but how stable have these parameters been? Have you had any appreciable swings?
How have the LPS you kept died? Slow tissue recession or quick polyp bailout?
Do you target feed your corals?
How often do you feed the tank, what do you feed, how much?
What methods do you use for nutrient control; water changes, algae refugium, phosphate medium, skimmer, etc?
How long has this tank been running?

I see you are addressing your lighting schedule. That may be one item to address. But don't make too many changes too quickly. My method is to make a change, then wait a couple days, maybe a week. Move slowly and take your time. The worst thing we can do is become impatient. I can't tell you how many hundreds of dollars I've lost from being impatient with coral.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back at this thread, there has been a lot of information thrown around very quickly. I think there are questions that haven't been answered though.

You stated your parameters, but how stable have these parameters been? Have you had any appreciable swings?
How have the LPS you kept died? Slow tissue recession or quick polyp bailout?
Do you target feed your corals?
How often do you feed the tank, what do you feed, how much?
What methods do you use for nutrient control; water changes, algae refugium, phosphate medium, skimmer, etc?
How long has this tank been running?

I see you are addressing your lighting schedule. That may be one item to address. But don't make too many changes too quickly. My method is to make a change, then wait a couple days, maybe a week. Move slowly and take your time. The worst thing we can do is become impatient. I can't tell you how many hundreds of dollars I've lost from being impatient with coral.

Thanks a lot to answer

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back