About Had IT With Corals

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the graph of your lighting schedule I am wondering if you have the red/white channel up way too high. It looks like your between 60-80% at peak. For the corals you want to keep I would probably have that channel peaking at 30-35%.

Channels B and C could be 80-100%
Channel A probably 50-60%

With led lights you have to be very careful with the white channels. If turned up the will bleach out and kill many corals.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the graph of your lighting schedule I am wondering if you have the red/white channel up way too high. It looks like your between 60-80% at peak. For the corals you want to keep I would probably have that channel peaking at 30-35%.

Channels B and C could be 80-100%
Channel A probably 50-60%

With led lights you have to be very careful with the white channels. If turned up the will bleach out and kill many corals.

Thanks, the wife wants to know if you can come here and help? Just kidding. Ok, will make adjustments . They have a preset for acans

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the acan setting for while and it worked great. Not just for acans, just need to watch the edges of the tank as it might not be enough light and may need to bump up settings a little.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the acan setting for while and it worked great. Not just for acans, just need to watch the edges of the tank as it might not be enough light and may need to bump up settings a little.

Ok, I will modify the lighting schedule and will follow through on the Build post. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your encouragement and help.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will modify the lighting schedule and will follow through on the Build post. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your encouragement and help.
You got this, GOOD LUCK!!!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water source? You should be using rodi water and checking the tds with a hand held meter and verifying that your source water has zero tds. I bought my meter for $15 on amazon. My inline meter failed me... also you should be using a refractometer to check salinity. These 2 simple but very important things sometimes get overlooked.

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you should never have 0 nitrates. you need some for them to feed on. I would add some Amino Acid to your tank that will help your coal. When ever my nitrates drop to 0 I add a little extra. How long have you had 0 Nitrates?

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water source? You should be using rodi water and checking the tds with a hand held meter and verifying that your source water has zero tds. I bought my meter for $15 on amazon. My inline meter failed me... also you should be using a refractometer to check salinity. These 2 simple but very important things sometimes get overlooked.

We get our saltwater and RODI from lfs. We have a swing arm salinity checker. What is tds and the checker? I changed the light settings to the preset lps/soft coral mix this morning.

Thanks

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you should never have 0 nitrates. you need some for them to feed on. I would add some Amino Acid to your tank that will help your coal. When ever my nitrates drop to 0 I add a little extra. How long have you had 0 Nitrates?

thanks

Sottish_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get our saltwater and RODI from lfs. We have a swing arm salinity checker. What is tds and the checker? I changed the light settings to the preset lps/soft coral mix this morning.

Thanks
A refractometer would be better for checking salinity. Swing arms can be way off

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer, Orange Acan (he is doing great) , Candy cane, Capt. America and a very small zoa frag from Tidal Gardens Never again from them. We got our acan from lfs and doing great. Thanks for your help we are still newbies
I have acans, lobos, trees, shrooms, acros, montis pocillopora.... you name it. But I can’t keep a frogspaw, hammer, torch, plate, or gorgonian. Go figure. I finally just decided I’d stay away from those things I have little or no success with. Historically, I have had poor luck with anemones as well. I decided to dedicate an entire tank to anemones and clowns so I can cater to their needs in a more precise way. So far, so good!

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acans, lobos, trees, shrooms, acros, montis pocillopora.... you name it. But I can’t keep a frogspaw, hammer, torch, plate, or gorgonian. Go figure. I finally just decided I’d stay away from those things I have little or no success with. Historically, I have had poor luck with anemones as well. I decided to dedicate an entire tank to anemones and clowns so I can cater to their needs in a more precise way. So far, so good!

I kind of like lps

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back