OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan,

I see that you have gotten a lot of advice in a very short time frame, but I wanted to chime in as well and give you a bit of help from when I was a beginner. Mostly, I'll give you a few good suggestions that work generally well for this hobby, as well as some of the stuff that you can try out on your tank.

First and foremost, patience is key! This hobby requires a lot of it and nothing happens quickly. Small incremental changes will always get you farther than doing a lot of changes too quickly. When caring for corals, invertebrates, and fish, they prefer stability, hence lots of changes can become very stressful for them.

That being said, in your case, it looks like you may have had a bit too much white light which may have been killing your coral. LED's are incredibly powerful and can bleach and kill corals in hours even. Looks like you may have found a good schedule now, so I would stick with it and let the corals you have adjust to it. Then after some time, if you prefer, you can make small changes to the individual channels to tweak closer to the color you like. As a rule of thumb, blues/UV's/Violets are usually kept at high amounts, whites at medium to low amounts, and reds/yellows/greens should be a little to just tweak the color preference.

Anyways, I also notice that you use quite a lot of various media and supplements for your tank. A lot of those items are typically designed for tanks that are more established, have heavy coral concentrations, and large various micro fauna. For newer tanks, all of those things may actually create more problems than help. For example, I've seen here people suggesting using Amino Acids as a food supplement for coral, but overdosing aminos can in fact thin out the flesh on the coral, and cause it to die if other things create any stress on the coral. Your tank being still a young tank (they don't really mature until 1-2 years), you can have fluctuations in parameters that stress coral. Over dosing various supplementation may cause more issues than solve them. And overdosing a tank with very little coral is very easy to do.

If your LFS is using good water, you maintain a consistent water change schedule, and set up you light, you shouldn't even require any additives, at least at the beginning. Personally, that is what I would do.... I would head back to the basics. Do a weekly water change of 10-20%, use a bit of carbon only, and let the tank settle in. If you are able to place a skimmer somewhere, that would be great. If not, be careful about overfeeding the tank, especially if you attempt to feed your coral. Less is better in this situation. Then test parameters. Get a good tester for Nitrates and Phosphates and test. In most cases, a skimmer and carbon combined with weekly water changes may be sufficient to keep the water at the appropriate levels. If you notice your phosphates or nitrates climb (because you've tested that with a good tester) above the preferred amount, then and only then add media that removes nitrates and phosphates. In the alternative, if you are feeding a lot, reducing the frequency or amount you feed may be sufficient to keep parameters in place without adding media. Then make small changes in your routine: frequency of water changes, how much you change, what media and how much you use, and how much and how often you feed. Eventually you will find a good common ground where you can feed enough and keep the parameters in check. Then you'll only have to make adjustments if you have large changes. In the meantime, you'll create better stability for your tank and things will look a lot better.

After you get a hang of that, you can start experimenting with aminos, booster programs and whatnot to try to improve colors and growth of coral (if you arent happy with the results you'll be getting by then). I bet you though, that if you take it slow, go back to the KISS method and create stability, you'll find you'll be quite content with where you end up.

Thank you very much, I know patience is key and am going back to basics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
High flow is a matter of tank size in my world.
I always recommend s9ft blue lighting, moderate water flow and feeding coral sparingly.

I'd check for stray voltage, bright whites, fish that be irritating the corals and any pests that you may be missing within your system all as a start

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High flow is a matter of tank size in my world.
I always recommend s9ft blue lighting, moderate water flow and feeding coral sparingly.

I'd check for stray voltage, bright whites, fish that be irritating the corals and any pests that you may be missing within your system all as a start

I am always puzzled by medium flow after watching countless youtube videos and reading articles and asking ? I have 1 icecap Ik gyre and ordered another one. thank you

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really leaning towards too low of nutrients and the lighting not being quite right. I don't have experience with that light so can't really make recommendations on that.

Keep at it. I feel like your close. Get cheap tester frags from the LFS or local reefers every once in a while. Just don't add a lot at once. Focus on making what you have thrive for now. The rest will fall into place.

Investing in a ro/di system eventually is a good idea. Gives you more control over the water used. Saves money in the long run as well.

Thanks

dmunyon8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Did you use live rock or dry rock when setting it up? And do you have a stable copepod population?

Are there any other weird symptoms? When I first started my tank I couldn’t get corraline algae to grow... and my corals were also suffering (from some unknown variable) left my tank alone and let it mature for several months and noticed coralline algae started growing everywhere and now my corals are thriving. I guess whatever was affecting my corals was also affecting the corraline algae. I believe it was just my tank wasn’t stable because of how new it was... I also blame not properly curing my dry rock.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
af4adc86260c1541cf8bf7485afe7372.jpg

We just got done feeding the acan Rod’s original and my wife notice two new heads on the left side. Hopefully you can see them in the picture. We get the TDS Checker today and the refractor tomorrow. I noticed the acan is more fully open in the lower lights. Will keep everyone posted.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

We just got done feeding the acan Rod’s original and my wife notice two new heads on the left side. Hopefully you can see them in the picture. We get the TDS Checker today and the refractor tomorrow. I noticed the acan is more fully open in the lower lights. Will keep everyone posted.

there it is! A sign of growth giving you the confidence that you can do well with coral. stock slow and start with hardy and introduce more challenging as tank matures.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It may take a couple of days but you may notice it opening more and more everyday. Glad to see it opening more.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What so I do about the rodi water we tested it’s 32?
Your tds is at 32? How old are your filters on your RO/DI system and do you have Chloramines in your water. What stage system do your have. I have a 5 stage RO/DI system because I didn't know. Always have 0 TDS. Come to find out I could have used a 4 stage system. 5 stage systems help get rid of Chloramines.

dmunyon8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your RODI from? If you get it from a store then it’s time to find a new store... if you make it yourself then look into replacing your filters or upgrading your system

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tds is at 32? How old are your filters on your RO/DI system and do you have Chloramines in your water. What stage system do your have. I have a 5 stage RO/DI system because I didn't know. Always have 0 TDS. Come to find out I could have used a 4 stage system. 5 stage systems help get rid of Chloramines.

We don’t have an rodi system yet, looking,recommendations

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t have an rodi system yet, looking,recommendations
Trying to find the picture that shows what parts of the country use what type of chlorine, then I will be able to tell you what stage to get, but I use a BRS 5 stage 150 gal a day system and have no complaints.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very high TDS for supposedly RODI filtered water. I would let the LFS know that they should be more on top of testing their own water and its time for them to change their filters. In the meantime, probably a good idea to get your own filter if you dont have other LFS in the area that are more reputable.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very high TDS for supposedly RODI filtered water. I would let the LFS know that they should be more on top of testing their own water and its time for them to change their filters. In the meantime, probably a good idea to get your own filter if you dont have other LFS in the area that are more reputable.

Thanks

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant find the picture showing where what type is use regularly, I believe the northeast uses chloramines, From Michigan over and Florida has high TDS because of it sitting on a coral reef among other things. Their are other states that have high TDS, I live in Georgia and we mostly have low TDS and don't regularly use Chloramines in our treated water. If you can I would get a 5 stage as it isn't much more. BRS regularly have them on sale, but you can get them anywhere and it will work fine.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant find the picture showing where what type is use regularly, I believe the northeast uses chloramines, From Michigan over and Florida has high TDS because of it sitting on a coral reef among other things. Their are other states that have high TDS, I live in Georgia and we mostly have low TDS and don't regularly use Chloramines in our treated water. If you can I would get a 5 stage as it isn't much more.

Thanks Billy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back