About the Inkbird temperature controller...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current temperature controller seems to be malfunctioning. it has worked well for 10 years, but now, it seems that it may be time for a new one.

What I love about the temperature controller I built is that it has 2 sides; one side for heat (if the water gets too cold, the heat comes on). The other side is for cold (if the water gets too warm, the connected fan comes on to help cool).

Does the Inkbird WIFI controller offer this feature? or, is it strictly for controlling heat?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make both. The version that allows for heating and cooling is the itc-308. There are a few versions with or without Wi-Fi and there is one that has a plastic temp probe for aquariums. I’m not sure of the exact model number right off though.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an Amazon link to the Wi-Fi version

Here is the non Wi-Fi version

I'm beginning to think my issue isn't the controller. I have 3 heaters totaling 575 watts for 145 gallons. The heaters come on but they don't raise the temp.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to think my issue isn't the controller. I have 3 heaters totaling 575 watts for 145 gallons. The heaters come on but they don't raise the temp.
If your temp controller is turning on the outlet(s) for the heaters then it shouldn’t be your controller that’s the issue.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your temp controller is turning on the outlet(s) for the heaters then it shouldn’t be your controller that’s the issue.

At first I thought the controller was indicating on, but no voltage at the outlet. But I have 117.5 volts at the controller outlet.

I'm also noticing my other tanks are running about 4 degrees below their setting and not raising the temp.

I'm thinking my total heating wattage is inadequate.

What's the general rule of thumb; 5 watts or heat per gallon?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t say what is required because there are a lot of factors that effect it but I currently have 500w on my 125g which is probably around 140g total. In the summer it easily keeps it heated, but during the coldest part of the year it struggles to keep up because of my outside airline for my skimmer keeping my skimmer really cold.

If your heaters kept up with your tanks heat needs before why wouldn’t they now? Did something change that made your house or tank colder with the season change?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did something change that made your house or tank colder with the season change?

I moved everything from an old 75 to a 125. I'm guessing that 575 watts isn't enough to keep the increased water volume at the set temperature.

I have a 300 watt heater in the tank as part of the total 575 watts. But I have two more 300 watt heaters coming so I think the 900 watts will handle the work load.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved everything from an old 75 to a 125. I'm guessing that 575 watts isn't enough to keep the increased water volume at the set temperature.

I have a 300 watt heater in the tank as part of the total 575 watts. But I have two more 300 watt heaters coming so I think the 900 watts will handle the work load.
If you are sure that the heaters are working properly then I agree the next obvious step is to add more heaters (or higher wattage heaters).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine has failed me with little use. The unit displays but outlets are dead- Useless

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has failed me with little use. The unit displays but outlets are dead- Useless
I was thinking Inkbird as a replacement to the one I made. But I'm pretty satisfied the issue is with a lack of wattage.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still get a hand near one when it's supposed to be on to check.
IF a new controller is needed Ranco should be on top of the list.
It is cold up there!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper temperature control is probably the most important in a reef tank. I would never trust cheap controllers.
I've used nothing but cheap controllers for close to 20 years. Finex first and inkbird now. I see a lot more post about problems with high end controllers, apex, hydros etc than I do cheap stand alone heater controllers. Just saying;)

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still get a hand near one when it's supposed to be on to check.
IF a new controller is needed Ranco should be on top of the list.
It is cold up there!

I have two new 300 watt heaters coming today.

But yes, I have put my hand near all three heaters. All were warm but not hot. I attributed that to the cold temperature of the water.

Currently, the temp sits at 73 degrees, which isn't the end of the world, but, I usually sit in the 76-77 degree range. No one in the tank seems to mind, but, the winters will continue to get colder and I can't rely on ambient temperature of the room to keep the tank at temp.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used nothing but cheap controllers for close to 20 years. Finex first and inkbird now. I see a lot more post about problems with high end controllers, apex, hydros etc than I do cheap stand alone heater controllers. Just saying;)
I'm with you.

Purchased a project box and installed a controller with a separated outlet (one side heaters and the other a fan). It has worked perfectly.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Well, as it turns out, the heaters were turning on, but, were not getting hot. They felt warm to the touch and I made the mistake of thinking the cold water made them feel cooler than they really were.

Wrong!

So I replaced them with (2) 300 watt titanium heaters and everything is toasty again!

Thank you to all who provided me feedback!

@Snoopy 67

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back