About the Sentry ATO that is included with each WaterBox Platinum

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each WaterBox Platinum tank comes with the Sentry ATO unit included for free. It is a great, compact optical sensor ATO unit that we are proud to have with each WaterBox! Here is a video showing the features :)

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sentry ATO that came with my WB75.2 was in its 5th day, no issues, filling correctly. This morning I went to check on everything and the red light and alarm was on. Much to my surprise my ATO reservoir, which was just filled to the brim with 5 gallons of RODI the night before was nearly EMPTY, about a gallon remained. After draining some water out and checking everything on the ATO, including the sensor, it was in the right position, connected, etc. I re-powered the device and the blue light came back on and started functioning again. Why the red light and the alarm were on doesn't make sense, my reservoir wasn't dry and the pump was still submerged in RODI water.

I'll send the Sentry ATO back to you if you would like to do some analysis but I'm going back to the APEX ATK. I can't take the risk once coral goes into this system. My Salt level went from 1.o25 to 1.022 due to this device. Not happy!

Your tanks are AMAZING, please don't let this device become the weak link and destroy your name. What is the point to include this with your tanks? I mean seriously reduce the price of the tanks by whatever your cost is on the ATO and compete on the value of your tank and not risk it to an inferior ATO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waterbox Aquariums

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sentry ATO that came with my WB75.2 was in its 5th day, no issues, filling correctly. This morning I went to check on everything and the red light and alarm was on. Much to my surprise my ATO reservoir, which was just filled to the brim with 5 gallons of RODI the night before was nearly EMPTY, about a gallon remained. After draining some water out and checking everything on the ATO, including the sensor, it was in the right position, connected, etc. I re-powered the device and the blue light came back on and started functioning again. Why the red light and the alarm were on doesn't make sense, my reservoir wasn't dry and the pump was still submerged in RODI water.

I'll send the Sentry ATO back to you if you would like to do some analysis but I'm going back to the APEX ATK. I can't take the risk once coral goes into this system. My Salt level went from 1.o25 to 1.022 due to this device. Not happy!

Your tanks are AMAZING, please don't let this device become the weak link and destroy your name. What is the point to include this with your tanks? I mean seriously reduce the price of the tanks by whatever your cost is on the ATO and compete on the value of your tank and not risk it to an inferior ATO.

Hey, very sorry to hear that the ATO failed on you last night. This isn't a common problem for this unit but of course can happen. I am going to PM you so can get your info in order to make sure you are taken care of for your troubles.

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise my ATO emptied the chamber overnight. Appears to keep siphoning water fire pump turns off. My S.G. Plummeted as well. Am a little afraid to use it now

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Likewise my ATO device emptied my ro/di chamber, rechecked all connections, leveled sensor etc. thank goodness I don’t have livestock yet as my SG is now 1.021. It would seem that the unit siphons water from the ATO compartment after the pump stops...is there some sort of valve that would fix this

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Snuggs, The easiest way to prevent siphoning is to make sure the exit point of the tube is above the highest water line of your reservoir. If that is not possible, then you need a float valve in your sump to ensure that it is closed until the water drops enough to need water, but at that point you can just create a gravity fed ATO.

@Waterbox Aquariums, I have 2 criticisms I would like to point out with the Sentry. The ATO has been rock solid for the 6 months I have used it, but these 2 things really bother me:

1) I would love to be able to use a different pump with the Sentry ATO. The odd connector that is used on your pump makes it difficult to do, but if you offered that connector with bare wires on the end I could use any 12v pump I could find. Unfortunately, that style pump means that I lose 1-2g of usability of my ATO with it being submerged. I also then have to have my ATO reservoir quite close to the tank for power reasons. If I can hook up my Avast diaphragm pump, all I would need to run into the ATO reservoir is a small line that will go all the way to the bottom of the tank allowing me to use it until it is dry. It also allows me to keep my ATO tank in another room and just run a single 1/4" tube from the ATO to the tank where the pump sits near the tank.
2) The most frustrating part is that if I ever lose power I have to go turn the stupid beeping while it fills off. Why do you have it default to beeping every time it fills? I understand the beeping on an alarm setup, but hearing it beep over and over again multiple times an hour is crazy. It's easy to turn off, but then if you lose power at all it goes back to default settings and isn't stored. I would like to build safety redundancy through my APEX and have it only on for 5 mins per hour if possible, but with the beeping coming back after losing power I can't do that.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Waterbox Aquariums

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Snuggs, The easiest way to prevent siphoning is to make sure the exit point of the tube is above the highest water line of your reservoir. If that is not possible, then you need a float valve in your sump to ensure that it is closed until the water drops enough to need water, but at that point you can just create a gravity fed ATO.

@Waterbox Aquariums, I have 2 criticisms I would like to point out with the Sentry. The ATO has been rock solid for the 6 months I have used it, but these 2 things really bother me:

1) I would love to be able to use a different pump with the Sentry ATO. The odd connector that is used on your pump makes it difficult to do, but if you offered that connector with bare wires on the end I could use any 12v pump I could find. Unfortunately, that style pump means that I lose 1-2g of usability of my ATO with it being submerged. I also then have to have my ATO reservoir quite close to the tank for power reasons. If I can hook up my Avast diaphragm pump, all I would need to run into the ATO reservoir is a small line that will go all the way to the bottom of the tank allowing me to use it until it is dry. It also allows me to keep my ATO tank in another room and just run a single 1/4" tube from the ATO to the tank where the pump sits near the tank.
2) The most frustrating part is that if I ever lose power I have to go turn the stupid beeping while it fills off. Why do you have it default to beeping every time it fills? I understand the beeping on an alarm setup, but hearing it beep over and over again multiple times an hour is crazy. It's easy to turn off, but then if you lose power at all it goes back to default settings and isn't stored. I would like to build safety redundancy through my APEX and have it only on for 5 mins per hour if possible, but with the beeping coming back after losing power I can't do that.

Thanks!

Yeah, we found that there were pro's and con's to us including the Sentry ATO unit with the Platinum tanks. You will notice that all the new models going forward no longer include an ATO unit. We want the user to be able to 100% choose their equipment for their Waterbox tanks :)

Kal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each WaterBox Platinum tank comes with the Sentry ATO unit included for free. It is a great, compact optical sensor ATO unit that we are proud to have with each WaterBox! Here is a video showing the features :)

Can you tell me if this ATO is plug and play? I have it hooked up and the led if flashing blue but the pump is not turning on even though the sensor is well above water at this point.

EDIT: I figured it out, you have to hold down the option button when you plug it in. It is filling now.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea where to purchase a replacement pump for these units?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back