About the use of copper

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve a question about the use of copper, I was reading the instruction manual of aqua one marine anti parasite and it mentions a 14 day treatment at 1ml per 40 litres up to day 14.

I know about the need for a copper test kit, but these instructions are so vague. Does it need a daily 1/3rd water change, or should it not be reaching that 2.5ppm mark until day 14 after a full doseage?

They really should include better instructions on these products
92A0693E-EC65-4F0D-9C47-1E1E2887D6CE.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve a question about the use of copper, I was reading the instruction manual of aqua one marine anti parasite and it mentions a 14 day treatment at 1ml per 40 litres up to day 14.

I know about the need for a copper test kit, but these instructions are so vague. Does it need a daily 1/3rd water change, or should it not be reaching that 2.5ppm mark until day 14 after a full doseage?

They really should include better instructions on these products
If it’s pure copper, level is .50 for 30 days monitored with a copper test kit such as Hanna brand
I prefer coppersafe or copper power at the 2.5 for full 30 days

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s pure copper, level is .50 for 30 days monitored with a copper test kit such as Hanna brand
I prefer coppersafe or copper power at the 2.5 for full 30 days
Copper sulphate is what’s quoted on the tin. But I was more complaining about the fact they don’t warn you of this anywhere on the bottle. They just blindly direct you to put 1ml of this in your aquarium per day without testing.

My biggest question: assuming for a moment this treatment period suggests you reach the desired level at the end of the treatment are you supposed to water change each day or just leave the treatment in there and keep adding to it every 24 hours?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copper sulphate is what’s quoted on the tin. But I was more complaining about the fact they don’t warn you of this anywhere on the bottle. They just blindly direct you to put 1ml of this in your aquarium per day without testing.

My biggest question: assuming for a moment this treatment period suggests you reach the desired level at the end of the treatment are you supposed to water change each day or just leave the treatment in there and keep adding to it every 24 hours?
Im leery often with these off brands and seeing your instructions, confusing they are

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are just the brands we are stuck with in the UK, we don’t have the same access unfortunately. Copper safe has to be imported from the US
This has been an ongoing issue with oversea countries and There has to be a resolution being this is Hobby use requirements

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an ongoing issue with oversea countries and There has to be a resolution being this is Hobby use requirements
It’s horrendous. I see a lot of recommendations on here that just aren’t accessible to me, or people in this country. It’s a shambles.

Let me just ask the question plainly because I need an answer of some sort lol.

If you were forced to use this, and you were going to use it, would you water change daily or wait finish the treatment before water changing?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s horrendous. I see a lot of recommendations on here that just aren’t accessible to me, or people in this country. It’s a shambles.

Let me just ask the question plainly because I need an answer of some sort lol.

If you were forced to use this, and you were going to use it, would you water change daily or wait finish the treatment before water changing?
I would allow the treatment to kick in and take effect before making any water changes as you are in essence starting and stopping a treatment cycle

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just order a gallon of copper power from the states and expedite the shipping. Prazipro as well. If your fish don’t seem sick then you have time until it arrives.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That product is apparently ionic copper and citric acid plus formalin. It needs to be dosed at 0.18 to 0.22 ppm of copper - no variation beyond that range for 14 days beyond when the symptoms abate. Mixing copper and formalin is a BAD idea - copper is dosed based on concentration and formalin is dosed on concentration versus time. You cannot reconcile those two things in the same medication, and there is no safe way to dose this product without a copper test kit - sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That product is apparently ionic copper and citric acid plus formalin. It needs to be dosed at 0.18 to 0.22 ppm of copper - no variation beyond that range for 14 days beyond when the symptoms abate. Mixing copper and formalin is a BAD idea - copper is dosed based on concentration and formalin is dosed on concentration versus time. You cannot reconcile those two things in the same medication, and there is no safe way to dose this product without a copper test kit - sorry!

Jay
I’ve just sent an email off to (what I think is the manufacturer) with these concerns for some clarification. Funny thing is, I can’t even find the website for them.

As I said further up the post, it’s embarrassing how few options are available in the UK

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just sent an email off to (what I think is the manufacturer) with these concerns for some clarification. Funny thing is, I can’t even find the website for them.

As I said further up the post, it’s embarrassing how few options are available in the UK
Yes, fish medications are getting tougher to get everywhere. In the US, we can’t easily get formalin any longer. Canada can’t really get any true aquarium drugs, just “tonics”.
Jay

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be totally possible! Do you have experience with that particular medicine?
No, sorry. I saw it for the first time yesterday and started a thread on here asking for opinions. I didn't see this thread until a few minutes ago. I've ordered some Copper Power from across the pond. I'll let you know if it ever arrives.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back