about to purchase fish

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for purchase a yellow tang today , at lfs , any advice how to pick fish ? anything i should be weary about ! let me learn from your mistakes !

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it’s a kind of black brown color with a nice orange spot near its tail :) that’s my advice ;)

But in a serious note, ask how long it’s been there, check for obvious signs of disease, that it is active , I always asked to see the fish feed and check the color looks good, I.e no Signs of stress!

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria....14 day guarantee! Sorry don’t know your LFS quality....unless a serious reef store the fish can be a gamble....they use a ton of copper and the fish may have flown in yesterday and is still dizzy. Ask.

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i called in on friday , so the most they cud have had is up to now , live aquaira tangs are 100 lol thats too much , yes the fish is being coppered and in salinity 1.015

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy all my fish at the LFS nearest to me. I prefer to actually see the fish for myself before I hand over my $$$.

Observe it for at least 5-10 minutes. Does it have a fat belly or is it concave? If it's not fat, it's not happy. Pass on it.

Is it swimming around the tank picking at algae or other little bits of stuff? Another sign of a healthy, happy fish.

Does it seem to be scratching itself against rocks That is a sure sign of problems, perhaps flukes in the gills.

White stringy poop? Pass.

You will have to look closely, but check carefully for Ich. If it or any fish in the system it is in looks sick, assume they all are and pass.

Now that you've chosen a healthy (appearing) fish, take it home and QUARANTINE it!!! At a bare minimum, a couple weeks of observation before it goes into the DT. I generally do a round or two of Prazipro even if all else looks good during that time. If there is any indication whatsoever of any illness/parasite, treat appropriately so that your new addition dies not infect the entire tank.

hth!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why copper and (almost) hyposalinity? Copper is especially hard on most fish and really should only be used if there is no other way to treat an affected fish. Doing so in Hypo just raises the stress level that much further. If you suspect Ich, TTM is a much more fish-friendly way of taking care of it.

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why copper and (almost) hyposalinity? Copper is especially hard on most fish and really should only be used if there is no other way to treat an affected fish. Doing so in Hypo just raises the stress level that much further. If you suspect Ich, TTM is a much more fish-friendly way of taking care of it.
what does TTM? mean sorry !

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back