About to treat velvet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, a video is easier to get than a still photo. Another option is for you to Google images of sick fish and find one that looks close to what you are seeing.

Jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, a video is easier to get than a still photo. Another option is for you to Google images of sick fish and find one that looks close to what you are seeing.

Jay
To be honest it doesn’t look like there’s anything in his actual skin and he hasn’t showed any symptoms in 3 days. No gasping or rubbing and eating great I’m super confused what is actually going on?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest it doesn’t look like there’s anything in his actual skin and he hasn’t showed any symptoms in 3 days. No gasping or rubbing and eating great I’m super confused what is actually going on?
Sorry, I thought you said something about a white flake on its skin?
I’ve gotten confused here - if there are no symptoms, maybe there isn’t an issue?
Jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I thought you said something about a white flake on its skin?
I’ve gotten confused here - if there are no symptoms, maybe there isn’t an issue?
Jay
Yes there were flakes I wish I would have taken a pic but I did not. When my clownfish died there were flakes on his body and he was at the top gasping for air which was when I noticed his cloudy eyes too. I noticed at the end of the day and by morning the clownfish died. As of right now there is nothing on the gramma but on wed I saw the first time he attempted to rub on a piece of rock . Unless maybe the parasite was removed when the clownfish died? Could that be a possibility?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there were flakes I wish I would have taken a pic but I did not. When my clownfish died there were flakes on his body and he was at the top gasping for air which was when I noticed his cloudy eyes too. I noticed at the end of the day and by morning the clownfish died. As of right now there is nothing on the gramma but on wed I saw the first time he attempted to rub on a piece of rock . Unless maybe the parasite was removed when the clownfish died? Could that be a possibility?

Unlikely that if there was a parasite, it would have been removed 100% on a dead fish, some would still be in the tank, on the other fish, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have any current symptoms to go on to try and make a diagnosis.....

Jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats up to you
Unlikely that if there was a parasite, it would have been removed 100% on a dead fish, some would still be in the tank, on the other fish, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have any current symptoms to go on to try and make a diagnosis.....

Jay
I think I might just set up a qt tank and cycle it. If he shows any symptoms I’ll move him over there I’m being completely honest he’s eating really well and it seems like he’s normal. It’s just the random death of my clown that’s throwing me off. Is it maybe possible that he developed some sort of immunity to the parasite?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might just set up a qt tank and cycle it. If he shows any symptoms I’ll move him over there I’m being completely honest he’s eating really well and it seems like he’s normal. It’s just the random death of my clown that’s throwing me off. Is it maybe possible that he developed some sort of immunity to the parasite?
No, immunity doesn’t really work like that in fish, something else is going on.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In cases like this, assume all fish have something or have caught something. Its rare that a tankmate is exempt. You made a good decision to go with quarantine- Use it to your advantage

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, immunity doesn’t really work like that in fish, something else is going on.
Jay
Have you by chance ever heard of something like this? It’s my first time ever trying to treat any sort of illness since it’s my first time trying saltwater fish. I don’t have much experience and to me this is getting really confusing

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In cases like this, assume all fish have something or have caught something. It’s rare that a tankmate is exempt. You made a good decision to go with quarantine- Use it to your advantage
I think qt is the best thing but now I fear to hurt it more than help. If it has nothing I could just hurt him but then if he does I could help but he’s not showing any signs of needing help even though he was with a fish that died in lass than a day I am struggling to decide what to do next

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back