About to treat velvet

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve talked to my LFS I have gotten advice of how to go about it. They recommended removing my sand bed because there might be eggs in there. Is there any advice that anyone could provide? This is my first time and I’m gonna be honest I am feeling extremely nervous and anxious. It is a royal gramma that will be quarantined with the medication “Cupramine”

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve talked to my LFS I have gotten advice of how to go about it. They recommended removing my sand bed because there might be eggs in there. Is there any advice that anyone could provide? This is my first time and I’m gonna be honest I am feeling extremely nervous and anxious. It is a royal gramma that will be quarantined with the medication “Cupramine”
If the sand is calcium based, it will absorb some copper. You would then need to test the copper level and top it up as needed.
Velvet kills very quickly, rapid breathing and not eating is often the only symptom you’ll see, followed by death in 36 hours or so.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tend to agree with the no sand principle which can be absorbent and may contain silica.
Cupramine is good for velvet but I would run it at therapeutic level 2.0 with added aeration using an airstone for full 30 days

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sand is calcium based, it will absorb some copper. You would then need to test the copper level and top it up as needed.
Velvet kills very quickly, rapid breathing and not eating is often the only symptom you’ll see, followed by death in 36 hours or so.
Jay
Thanks, he’s actually been in the tank for 2 weeks already with no treatment and is eating incredibly well, what might be the reason for this? Strong immune system perhaps?

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with the no sand principle which can be absorbent and may contain silica.
Cupramine is good for velvet but I would run it at therapeutic level 2.0 with added aeration using an airstone for full 30 days
How do I go about removing without crashing the cycle? I heard something like anaerobic bacteria or something and that if too much is released the cycle will crash. Is this true? (Thanks for the advice also)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do I go about removing without crashing the cycle? I heard something like anaerobic bacteria or something and that if too much is released the cycle will crash. Is this true? (Thanks for the advice also)
Copper will impact cycling. I personally would set up a separate tank and allow this tank to cycle and use the separate tank as a treatment tank. A starter kit at walmart makes a great QT tank and has most of the essentials needed.
For sand removal, a wet/dry vac works great. I use a fine fish net and scoop slowly

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, he’s actually been in the tank for 2 weeks already with no treatment and is eating incredibly well, what might be the reason for this? Strong immune system perhaps?
No, it isn’t velvet then, the fish would have died by now. Perhaps we need to look at what other diagnoses there could be….what are the symptoms?
Jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it isn’t velvet then, the fish would have died by now. Perhaps we need to look at what other diagnoses there could be….what are the symptoms?
Jay
Thanks for the response, so as of right now he is eating well. I am feeding mysis and brine shrimp, he eats about 9 or 10 pieces a day. I haven’t seen him rub for about 2 days . No cloudy eyes, he’s not at the surface. I am almost sure velvet did kill my clown tho since he did die in less than a day,. He did have rapid breathing a the surface cloudy eyes and did not eat.I woke up and found him on the sand bed in the morning with white flake looking things on his skin. But I never saw him actually rub on anything.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, so as of right now he is eating well. I am feeding mysis and brine shrimp, he eats about 9 or 10 pieces a day. I haven’t seen him rub for about 2 days . No cloudy eyes, he’s not at the surface. I am almost sure velvet did kill my clown tho since he did die in less than a day,. He did have rapid breathing a the surface cloudy eyes and did not eat.I woke up and found him on the sand bed in the morning with white flake looking things on his skin. But I never saw him actually rub on anything.
Velvet is highly contagious - if you had one fish in a tank die from it, the other fish will have had symptoms and most likely died as well.

Jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is highly contagious - if you had one fish in a tank die from it, the other fish will have had symptoms and most likely died as well.

Jay
He’s still hanging out rn I’ll try to get a pic, I went to my LFS and they said he probably just has an incredible immune system. Based off what I said before my clownfish definitely did get velvet though right?

Attachments

• 4CABA86D-5EBF-4505-BE9E-2E2F7DF6FAFD.jpeg
    4CABA86D-5EBF-4505-BE9E-2E2F7DF6FAFD.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper will impact cycling. I personally would set up a separate tank and allow this tank to cycle and use the separate tank as a treatment tank. A starter kit at walmart makes a great QT tank and has most of the essentials needed.
For sand removal, a wet/dry vac works great. I use a fine fish net and scoop slowly
What do you mean by impact cycling?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What do you mean by impact cycling?
Any levels at 0.08 or above can cause the nitrifying bacteria in your tank to stop functioning or lose its denitrifying capabilities. I believe you removed sand which will disqualify this risk

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s still hanging out rn I’ll try to get a pic, I went to my LFS and they said he probably just has an incredible immune system. Based off what I said before my clownfish definitely did get velvet though right?
Sorry, I can’t make out anything in that photo, too blue and the focus is off. I know getting fish photos is tough, but without good images, I can’t really tell you anything.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can’t make out anything in that photo, too blue and the focus is off. I know getting fish photos is tough, but without good images, I can’t really tell you anything.
I will try my best to get one under a few more whites I just struggle since he immediately tries running when it gets too bright

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any levels at 0.08 or above can cause the nitrifying bacteria in your tank to stop functioning or lose its denitrifying capabilities. I believe you removed sand which will disqualify this risk
Does all of the sand need to be removed? I have a very deep sand bed about 3 inches is it ok to just remove most of the top layer? Does it all need to go?

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these?

Attachments

• 74330FCB-3EDF-407E-98C3-32638DBCCCFD.jpeg
    74330FCB-3EDF-407E-98C3-32638DBCCCFD.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 4BDB8066-EB48-4FC3-BA23-A46DEF7CBB20.jpeg
    4BDB8066-EB48-4FC3-BA23-A46DEF7CBB20.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 31

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does all of the sand need to be removed? I have a very deep sand bed about 3 inches is it ok to just remove most of the top layer? Does it all need to go?
Best absent of sand

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back