Marine velvet issue

rickytom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I would like to ask you for some advise on the probable cause of fish deaths in my marine tank (apologies for being a little long winded)

I bought the established fish tank with fish (2 clown and one coral beauty) a few months ago. Before I purchased any further fish, I ensured environmental conditions were settled and non of existing fish were exhibiting any signs of disease/parasites by waiting for a period of approx 6 weeks.

After 6 weeks passed we purchased 2 bannerfish from an aquarium, which settled in really well/fed well and had no behavioural problems.

Approx one week the aquarium received and new stock of fish including Royal gramma and 3 days later we were allowed to purchase it. The fish settled in and although hiding, fed straight away. However after approx 4 days of having the it stopped feeding. I saw it a day or 2 later upside down and contacted the aquarium as was concerned. They advised this is usual behaviour and not to worry. The following day (Xmas eve) it was dead. This followed with the 2 bannerfish dying hours apart on Xmas day with loss of colour, rapid breathing, twitching. When I contacted the aquarium after boxing day they told me to bring water sample for testing, howver these were all well within acceptable parameters as I'm an ex water quality scientist and well maintain my aquarium. I advised it sounded like a parasite had introduced by the new fish esp as it was the royal grammar died first within days of entering the tank. The aquarium dismissed this suggestion and advised it was an ammonia spike or external contaminant. Again due to my background I believed this was not the case.

Then a few days later, one of the clownfish which has been in there from the beginning without symptoms began with the same as the bannerfish and died that day. I rang the aquarium and they again tried to say was ammonia spike but to send them pictures. At this point they confirmed as velvet and suggested i try treatment treatment. After approx 3 days of treatment, my other clown showed symptoms and died that days. I continued treatment for a further 3 days but finally my coral beauty also died of the same. I obviously believe that the most likely scenario would be the royal gramma brought the velvet into the tank.
The aquarium has advised that due to the gramma dying and not being noticed straight away will have started an ammonia spike. This will have caused the other fish especially the wimple’s to become stressed, the fish loosing colour and struggling to breath are the main symptoms of an ammonia spike.

They went onto advise that in relation to the velvet that broke out after the fish death. This can be a common occurrence in marine tanks due to the nature of velvet. Most established marine tanks will have the organism that causes velvet (oodinium) in the tank, it’s a free swimming organism that very easily turns parasitic. As with almost all parasitic infections, most fish can fight off minor infections providing their immune system is strong however can infect any fish at any time.

We agree as a team that the cost of the royal gramma should be reimbursed to yourselves as it didn’t settle, and although the circumstances of the wimple fish was out of our control and as a gesture of good will also reimburse you for the two wimple fish also.

As a result of the above I find out extremely hard to believe that there was a fish death caused by an ammonia spike, followed immediately by an outbreak of velvet which killed the remaining fish in the tank. The aquarium has also failed to provide explanation as to why the royal gramma died.

Therefore I would really appreciate some external expert advice of the situation above

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all

I would like to ask you for some advise on the probable cause of fish deaths in my marine tank (apologies for being a little long winded)

I bought the established fish tank with fish (2 clown and one coral beauty) a few months ago. Before I purchased any further fish, I ensured environmental conditions were settled and non of existing fish were exhibiting any signs of disease/parasites by waiting for a period of approx 6 weeks.

After 6 weeks passed we purchased 2 bannerfish from an aquarium, which settled in really well/fed well and had no behavioural problems.

Approx one week the aquarium received and new stock of fish including Royal gramma and 3 days later we were allowed to purchase it. The fish settled in and although hiding, fed straight away. However after approx 4 days of having the it stopped feeding. I saw it a day or 2 later upside down and contacted the aquarium as was concerned. They advised this is usual behaviour and not to worry. The following day (Xmas eve) it was dead. This followed with the 2 bannerfish dying hours apart on Xmas day with loss of colour, rapid breathing, twitching. When I contacted the aquarium after boxing day they told me to bring water sample for testing, howver these were all well within acceptable parameters as I'm an ex water quality scientist and well maintain my aquarium. I advised it sounded like a parasite had introduced by the new fish esp as it was the royal grammar died first within days of entering the tank. The aquarium dismissed this suggestion and advised it was an ammonia spike or external contaminant. Again due to my background I believed this was not the case.

Then a few days later, one of the clownfish which has been in there from the beginning without symptoms began with the same as the bannerfish and died that day. I rang the aquarium and they again tried to say was ammonia spike but to send them pictures. At this point they confirmed as velvet and suggested i try treatment treatment. After approx 3 days of treatment, my other clown showed symptoms and died that days. I continued treatment for a further 3 days but finally my coral beauty also died of the same. I obviously believe that the most likely scenario would be the royal gramma brought the velvet into the tank.
The aquarium has advised that due to the gramma dying and not being noticed straight away will have started an ammonia spike. This will have caused the other fish especially the wimple’s to become stressed, the fish loosing colour and struggling to breath are the main symptoms of an ammonia spike.

They went onto advise that in relation to the velvet that broke out after the fish death. This can be a common occurrence in marine tanks due to the nature of velvet. Most established marine tanks will have the organism that causes velvet (oodinium) in the tank, it’s a free swimming organism that very easily turns parasitic. As with almost all parasitic infections, most fish can fight off minor infections providing their immune system is strong however can infect any fish at any time.

We agree as a team that the cost of the royal gramma should be reimbursed to yourselves as it didn’t settle, and although the circumstances of the wimple fish was out of our control and as a gesture of good will also reimburse you for the two wimple fish also.

As a result of the above I find out extremely hard to believe that there was a fish death caused by an ammonia spike, followed immediately by an outbreak of velvet which killed the remaining fish in the tank. The aquarium has also failed to provide explanation as to why the royal gramma died.

Therefore I would really appreciate some external expert advice of the situation above
Will need clear video under white light intensity to assess what you have.
How did you conclude it was velvet?
With velvet, you will see rapid breathing, loss of appetite, fish gasping at surface or swimming in path of water flow as examples

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Welcome!

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE=.gif

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! Sorry to hear about your recent losses. Having suffered a velvet tank wipe myself. I know how much it sucks. @vetteguy53081 has asked you to provide some info. He's one of, if not the best suited to assist you here. Best of luck moving forward. Nowhere to go from here but up.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! Sorry to hear about your recent losses. Having suffered a velvet tank wipe myself. I know how much it sucks. @vetteguy53081 has asked you to provide some info. He's one of, if not the best suited to assist you here. Best of luck moving forward. Nowhere to go from here but up.
Includes Jay hemdal and fish medic team

OP
OP
R

rickytom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will need clear video under white light intensity to assess what you have.
How did you conclude it was velvet?
With velvet, you will see rapid breathing, loss of appetite, fish gasping at surface or swimming in path of water flow as examples
Hi, the aquarium we purchased the fish from diagnosed for us. All the symptoms you mention above were present including a loss of colour and shedding of scales. See attached photos/videos
Thanks. Appreciate it
20231229_182510.jpg
20231229_103855.jpg
20231229_103846.jpg
20231229_182510.jpg
20231229_103855.jpg
20231229_103846.jpg
20231229_103843.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Sorry it’s under these circumstances.
The excess and stringy mucus on the clown seems more consistent with brooklynella or late stage ich to me. The video won’t load on my end so I can’t comment on respiration rate.
Given that it seems to have come in on the gramma, I’d lean towards ich (brook is most commonly associated with clownfish).
All remaining fish should be quarantined and treated with copper (potentially formalin if brook), while the display tank remains fishless for at least 60 days, 76 being better.
Velvet does not live in every system as your lfs has suggested. It, along with other diseases like ich and brook, require fish hosts to survive and will spread from host to host infecting them all. A tank in which all inhabitants are properly quarantined minimizes this risk. Many tanks do have an ich population in it, but fish are kept healthy enough to minimize spread. This is not possible with brook or velvet, which are much more virulent and deadly to fish.

OP
OP
R

rickytom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Sorry it’s under these circumstances.
The excess and stringy mucus on the clown seems more consistent with brooklynella or late stage ich to me. The video won’t load on my end so I can’t comment on respiration rate.
Given that it seems to have come in on the gramma, I’d lean towards ich (brook is most commonly associated with clownfish).
All remaining fish should be quarantined and treated with copper (potentially formalin if brook), while the display tank remains fishless for at least 60 days, 76 being better.
Velvet does not live in every system as your lfs has suggested. It, along with other diseases like ich and brook, require fish hosts to survive and will spread from host to host infecting them all. A tank in which all inhabitants are properly quarantined minimizes this risk. Many tanks do have an ich population in it, but fish are kept healthy enough to minimize spread. This is not possible with brook or velvet, which are much more virulent and deadly to fish.
Thanks for response. Respiration rate was high on fish. I'm just watching my last fish (coral beauty) struggle now. I have dosed the tank with ethacridine as per lfs instructions for last 7 days and turned my wave maker into an aerator to increase dissolved oxygen levels, but doesn't seem to be working. Could this have already been in my tank for months without killing my existing fish or is it more likely the royal gramma has brought it in as died first followed by death of every other fish

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That medication won’t do anything for the disease at play - be it brook, velvet, or ich.
I was able to get the video to play, but can’t really get a good look at respiration rate. Could you post another under whiter lights?
Most likely it came in on the gramma, anything on an earlier fish would show symptoms sooner.

OP
OP
R

rickytom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That medication won’t do anything for the disease at play - be it brook, velvet, or ich.
I was able to get the video to play, but can’t really get a good look at respiration rate. Could you post another under whiter lights?
Most likely it came in on the gramma, anything on an earlier fish would show symptoms sooner.

OP
OP
R

rickytom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see video
I can't get a video of the coral beauty as its hiding avoiding the light. It's respiration is through v v high though. I've add another video of the other clown fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back