Abrupt flow change

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start with a brief description. I have a standard 90g corner overflow tank that has been up and running with it's current flow pattern for a few months now. I have a very fine substrate (CaribSea Supernaturals). In the beginning the sand was blowing everywhere creating bare spots all over the place and piling the rest up into little hills and mounds. But since then, the sand has settled and the flow does what it does now, no sand blowing around and only 2 areas where it's bare bottom. One of those areas is directly by the front glass and is sort of an eye sore.
I'd like to have my sand be a little more level across the board but that means moving sand around (don't want to kick up any nasties) and finding a flow pattern that helps keep the sand stay put.
I run 2 Icecap 2k gyres on opposite ends.
I could just lower the intensity on the gyres and keep the current flow pattern, but ever since Coralvue released the update allowing access to all their preset flow patterns I' have been wanting to check them out.
Now, I know moving the gyres around temporarily really won't effect much, if anything at all, while trying them out, but let's say I find a pattern I'm really starting to dig and I decide to keep it in lieu of my current setting. And let's say the new flow pattern is dramatically different than the original.
I am aware that this all stems from my own vanity with not wanting to see the bare spots to begin with, as the tank is doing just fine the way it is, bare spots and all.
Ultimately, I'm afraid to make any sudden changes to the tank and I'm really interested to find out beforehand what kind of negative effects I might see in regards to coral health and growth if the flow and intensity is abruptly changed.
I'd be happy to indulge anyone who might need more info on my current flow pattern and really appreciate any opinions, feedback, or personal experience that anyone has to offer.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me start with a brief description. I have a standard 90g corner overflow tank that has been up and running with it's current flow pattern for a few months now. I have a very fine substrate (CaribSea Supernaturals). In the beginning the sand was blowing everywhere creating bare spots all over the place and piling the rest up into little hills and mounds. But since then, the sand has settled and the flow does what it does now, no sand blowing around and only 2 areas where it's bare bottom. One of those areas is directly by the front glass and is sort of an eye sore.
I'd like to have my sand be a little more level across the board but that means moving sand around (don't want to kick up any nasties) and finding a flow pattern that helps keep the sand stay put.
I run 2 Icecap 2k gyres on opposite ends.
I could just lower the intensity on the gyres and keep the current flow pattern, but ever since Coralvue released the update allowing access to all their preset flow patterns I' have been wanting to check them out.
Now, I know moving the gyres around temporarily really won't effect much, if anything at all, while trying them out, but let's say I find a pattern I'm really starting to dig and I decide to keep it in lieu of my current setting. And let's say the new flow pattern is dramatically different than the original.
I am aware that this all stems from my own vanity with not wanting to see the bare spots to begin with, as the tank is doing just fine the way it is, bare spots and all.
Ultimately, I'm afraid to make any sudden changes to the tank and I'm really interested to find out beforehand what kind of negative effects I might see in regards to coral health and growth if the flow and intensity is abruptly changed.
I'd be happy to indulge anyone who might need more info on my current flow pattern and really appreciate any opinions, feedback, or personal experience that anyone has to offer.
I have the same issue - and I've come to just accept it. Coralline grows on the spot that is bare tank - I like the variation.

Any time you change flow patterns, things can 'change'. So I agree with you - that not changing it might be best. You could add more sand - or you could somehow put a piece of coral, etc down to block Flow to the area that is being blown clean. This would avoid making big changes to the tank - and may solve your problem. You could also put a piece of rock, etc - over that area - which will also solve your problem - perhaps with an LPS attached, etc.

OP
OP
Ed olson

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue - and I've come to just accept it. Coralline grows on the spot that is bare tank - I like the variation.

Any time you change flow patterns, things can 'change'. So I agree with you - that not changing it might be best. You could add more sand - or you could somehow put a piece of coral, etc down to block Flow to the area that is being blown clean. This would avoid making big changes to the tank - and may solve your problem. You could also put a piece of rock, etc - over that area - which will also solve your problem - perhaps with an LPS attached, etc.
I have definitely thought about my options regarding filling the bare spot in, from rock with corals to maybe just some rubble.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back