Acan care

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips for caring for my new acan.

Placement is midway in the tank with moderate flow.

Water parameters...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RdChcCXN_XPrurixjkQD8e_pVVA/edit?usp=drivesdk
IMG_20181103_181157.jpeg

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are off to a good start. Acans do like a regular feeding. Personally I use jumbo mysis. One for each head about once a week.
I just use a baster to sit one on each?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually kept acans on the bottom of the tank but we were running halides. Low flow, not enough to move the coral a lot, weekly feedings and watched them grow. They don't mind some nutrients in the water. When the acans show a feeding response use a baster to feed some meat foods like mysis feast, roe, etc.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually kept acans on the bottom of the tank but we were running halides. Low flow, not enough to move the coral a lot, weekly feedings and watched them grow. They don't mind some nutrients in the water. When the acans show a feeding response use a baster to feed some meat foods like mysis feast, roe, etc.
I am running 400w 20k radium 8 hours a day. The tank is 24 deep. Should I move it down? I can see it moving very little since it is so stiff it's hard to tell. It was closed when I added it so it did open. Just slowly

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched this Acan eat. Crazy, little skinny white tentacles with balls on the end captured a mysis floating by and pulled it into it's mouth in the center.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is doing real good. He is all puffed out when the light are on and his feeder tentacles are out when lights go off. However, my cleaner shrimp steals food when I spot feed him. He gets some but doesn't get it all reeled in before the shrimp is on him

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is doing real good. He is all puffed out when the light are on and his feeder tentacles are out when lights go off. However, my cleaner shrimp steals food when I spot feed him. He gets some but doesn't get it all reeled in before the shrimp is on him

You can distract your shrimp by feeding it in another spot of the tank while your feeding your acans:)

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, I actually have WAY more difficulty with my clowns stealing food from my acans than my CUC, even reefroids!
I have been feeding this to the Duncan and Acan until it is used up. Will that hurt it? And what should I get after. Clowns don't like it too much. They prefer spectrum pellet

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That food is fine. I'd recommend reef nutrition mysis feast, roe, etc. For frozen LRS reef frenzy. We had a peppermint shrimp try to steal food from are giant trachyphyllia and it didn't work out for the shrimp....

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Roids, and feed 2-4x a week depending how lazy I am.

I can tell you once I started using Reef Roids my growth has taken off much more than when using mysis. But it could just be a coincidence, like maybe they hit their stride or something... Couldn't say.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids is no joke. Used to mix it with oyster feast to make a nice slurry.

To add to that -- I've been having phenominal results from Coral Essentials Aminos. I've tried a LOT of amino acids over the years, all of them except two sucked -- AcroPower (which my complaint was it's VERY weak), and Coral Essentials Aminos.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back