Acan Help

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yall, I have an acan question. I cant seem to get my acans to open consitently. Some days they are plump and big like a typical acan, but most days they look like this while everything else is open and happy. I have no clue why, can anyone help.
Stock: Cleaner shrimp, two clowns, two nems, pistol shrimp, YWG, 3 chromis, tailspot blenny, n a possum wrasse
Tank: 32 gal bio cube (stock LEDs)
Parameters: dKH: 8.9; Ca: 430; pH: 8.2-8.4 (API); NO3: 10 ppm (API); Salinity: 1.026; Phos: 0.29; Par: between 40-80
IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_2848.JPG

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seem to dislike elevated PO4 above .15 and behave similarly to what you're describing. Maybe get that down a little and see how they react. Do you spot feed them at all?

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seem to dislike elevated PO4 above .15 and behave similarly to what you're describing. Maybe get that down a little and see how they react. Do you spot feed them at all?
Interesting, i do but they usually dont have their tentacles out so they dont catch anything.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that the phosphates are a little high , I try to keep my tank at or near O.O5 . and I always put my acans in indirect light as mine never liked being in direct Light . When I feed I always tried to make sure I put food in every polyp which I would feed twice to three times a week . Hope that helps

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping my acans out of direct flow and direct lighting and lower portion of the tank keeps them happy and especially feeding them a lot whether it be reef roids or mysis.

Last edited:

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had terrible luck with acans until all my shrimp were gone. They were stealing food from the mouths when I wasn't looking. As soon as all the shrimp left, the same ones that were struggling perked right up. Keep an eye on them and see if they're messing with the corals.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, i do but they usually dont have their tentacles out so they dont catch anything.
Tentacles not being out is a sign they aren't really happy.... drop those phosphates a bit and I'm betting they perk up. I make a thick paste out of Reef Roids and feed the a good mouthful once a week.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They have certain requirements:
-Moderate light and water flow
-Target feed 2-3X per week. . . . Not powder foods but mysis and brine shrimp
-provide at least 4-6 inches of space between Acans and other coral as they can and will fight for a dominant position.

An acan coral dying or not happy in the tank may be from too much water flow or too much light im which it will not extend its polyps. If your water parameters are good and have been stable and if your Acan won’t extend its polyps even at night or when feeding, it could be that the lights or water flow are too strong for your acan. Carefully move it to an area of lower flow or less intense light or both depending on the circumstances.

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have certain requirements:
-Moderate light and water flow
-Target feed 2-3X per week. . . . Not powder foods but mysis and brine shrimp
-provide at least 4-6 inches of space between Acans and other coral as they can and will fight for a dominant position.

An acan coral dying or not happy in the tank may be from too much water flow or too much light im which it will not extend its polyps. If your water parameters are good and have been stable and if your Acan won’t extend its polyps even at night or when feeding, it could be that the lights or water flow are too strong for your acan. Carefully move it to an area of lower flow or less intense light or both depending on the circumstances.
the polyps extend at night and I have put it into par as low as 20 and it didnt change. Might just need to feed more

Back