Acan Melted

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a fairly new tank 3 months old. One of my Acans melted last night. Was retracted then gray this morning. I used a baster to gently blow away the gray and it was dead tissue.

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Alk 11.2
Ammonia 0
Phosphate .04
Cal 290
Nitrate 0

I have about 120 gallons of water. Run a skimmer, carbon, and GFO. Dose 6 ml NoPox daily. 10 ml Vibrant every two weeks. Just changed water Monday 20 gallons. All other corals seem fine except for a Red Dragon frag.

I am going to lower Alk to 10 and try to raise calcium.

Thanks for an suggestions

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA definitely low and ALK a bit on the high side. Lighting and flow are also quite crucial for acans; and most coral... How often do you test? Are you experiencing parameter swings?

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally test weekly. Everything has been pretty steady except for the drop in calcium. The Alk was a slow climb but I will bring it back down. Also Phosphate had been holding steady at 0 but I attribute the increase to starting to use Reef Energy A+B 3-4 times per week.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi I have a fairly new tank 3 months old. One of my Acans melted last night. Was retracted then gray this morning. I used a baster to gently blow away the gray and it was dead tissue.

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Alk 11.2
Ammonia 0
Phosphate .04
Cal 290
Nitrate 0

I have about 120 gallons of water. Run a skimmer, carbon, and GFO. Dose 6 ml NoPox daily. 10 ml Vibrant every two weeks. Just changed water Monday 20 gallons. All other corals seem fine except for a Red Dragon frag.

I am going to lower Alk to 10 and try to raise calcium.

Thanks for an suggestions

Alk is high, but it could be bjd (yes, it can be grey) but I can’t make assumptions without pics...
Also imo, vibrant is no bueno.
Ran into all sorts of problems with my lps and zoas when I “tried” it...
Never again!

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Definitely has to do with the Alk and/or Calcium. I had quite a few Acans doing amazingly and then the all dropped to like 6 and calcium to 360ish and they all wasted away within two or three days . Thats my experience at least

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is high, but it could be bjd (yes, it can be grey) but I can’t make assumptions without pics...
Also imo, vibrant is no bueno.
Ran into all sorts of problems with my lps and zoas when I “tried” it...
Never again!
I used Vibrant to cleanup a golf course, all acans were fine, maybe it was your dosage amount and how often you dosed

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just stating a fact, it worked wonderfully for me. Took out a green golf course, also rocks were loaded. Corals were fine, 9 different Acan colonies

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back